Dry yeast w/ pre hopped kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Hey guys have just been doing some reading on the yeast needed to brew a batch. I purchased a pre-hopped (kit and kilo) kit and it came with a 5g packet of yeast. Usually I buy the Coopers kits and they come with 7g which usually does fine by me. So I did a bit of digging and many people think you need 10 G for a batch of beer.

What do you guys think - I have always gotten good fermentation with 7g of coopers yeast - most people seem to agree that 5g wont be enough. Most people say 7g is not enough?

What do you guys think?

I've been using cooper's cans as a base to make different ales all along. But,after using them dry,re-hydrated,& a small starter,I've found that a small starter is best performing.
I boil 1 1/2C of water,add 1/4C DME to it,then put it in a 2C (.5L) Pyrex measuring cup with a quick check thermometer covered with plastic wrap. I chill it down to 70-75F,then pitch the dry yeast in & recover. 3-4 hours seems to be best for an average gravity ale. My latest starter sat for 6 hours till my wort for my 1st IPA was ready for pitching.
It had an OG of 1.050. With a blow off,it was going spaz the next morning. No krausen blow off,just a truck load of co2! It'll be checked at the 2 week mark Saturday. It's been working slowly since the morning of the 3rd day.
So the small starter should do you just fine.:mug:

Back