Dry Yeast and Freezing Shipping temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUCKNUTS

Reaction score
I have some dry yeast in route to me at this time and it is well below zero here and will be for the next 7-8 days. I am wondering if anyone knows what temperature dry yeast can withstand? I normally keep it in my fridge but there is a big difference between the 38 degrees in my fridge and the -8 it was outside this morning.

Pretty cold, down to -40. Yeasts survive cold pretty well unless ice crystals form on them destroying cell walls. Kept sealed and dry in their packets, I would think that they'd survive just fine.

Thanks guys. i know people freeze yeast in a medium and they survive the freezer but I wasn't sure if the freeze drying process provided that same kind of protection to the yeast.

Thanks guys. i know people freeze yeast in a medium and they survive the freezer but I wasn't sure if the freeze drying process provided that same kind of protection to the yeast.

Dry yeast = fine to freeze it with no issues. Some people store it that way.

Liquid yeast = if you don't take the necessary steps to prevent it, ice crystals from the water will kill the cells.

Latest posts

Back