Dry vs wet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtdenham

Reaction score
Does anybody have any preference or know which is better to use. Do dry yeast work better for IPAs or does it matter?

It is just a matter of strain, if you choose good strain beer is going to be delicious no matter is it dry or liquid.
I prefer liquid yeast just because of greater selection of strains, but there are nicely dry yeast strains too and they are easy to handle.

If you are not confident about yeast handling and making starters (or you don't have a stirplate) I would suggest dry yeast for start, S-04 or US-05 makes delicious IPA's.

For ipas safale05 works great. Same thing as WL001 and wyeast 1056 from my understanding. Just kegged an IPA that used 05 that attenuated 90%. The stuff is a beast and produces as good a beer as its liquid counterparts.

mtdenham said:
So if I use dry yeast I don't need to use a starter?

Nope. You can hydrate before adding to wort, supposed to be a little better for them so they don't get osmotic shock. But use a yeast calculator like mr malty has and then add the prescribed amount of dry yeast and you will be good to go.

So this mr malty will tell you amount of dry yeast to add to achieve. Like 300 billion.

Back