Dry substitute for Wyeast 1968?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a Brown Ale tomorrow based on Brooklyn Brown Ale, recipe I'm looking at calls for Wyeast 1968. I don't have time to make a starter so I'm going dry yeast on this one. I have S-04, S-05, Windsor and Nottingham on hand. Anyone know which one would finish closer to 1968? I'm also considering splitting the 6 gallon batch into 2 fermenters and fermenting one batch with the English yeast and the 2nd with T-58..dunno? TIA

S-04 (Whitbread strain) would be good in a brown ale. Notty would be fine if you can keep it cool (57-60*F to start, finish at 65-66). I'm currently planning a clone of Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar and will likely use S-04 or Notty on it.

S33 is an English strain that makes a tasty beer but is a little finnicky - it will floc out early if you don't steadily increase the temp after the initial vigorous fermentation slows down. Otherwise, +1 for using S-04.

Back