Dry Malt Extract Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caioz1jp

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for about a year now. This is my 7th batch but I am having some problems. I am using the Copper Ale kit from Midwest Supplies that conatins DME and LME.

I have noticed that my last two brews that had Dry Malt extract in them had form this really thin white film on the top of the Secondary fermentor. The first time i saw this was an IPA that had DME. We took the IPA to be infected and dumped it. I cleaned the carboy with saniclean and then continued to sanatize again with hot water and star san. I still had the same result after about 5 days to a week. Is this just something to expect with DME and certain yeast strains?

The beer doesnt smell bad. My kegs are coming today but Im afraid to rack to a keg and transfer this unkillable contaminant. I know it is not in the primary because we have a Irish stout in the other carboy that used the same primary and it does not have this film. I also rule out the tubings used to trasnfer as they were the same for both. Also I cannot verify whether the carboy with the film is the same as the last time. I used wyeast liquid yeast but not sure which strain.

I tried looking at infection pictures but i get mixed results and nothing looks exactly like what i have. I did try giving it a shake and it does break but its not like ice floats or anything. in fact it kind of disolves slightly.

From the description, that doesn't sound like an infection, just krausen. Different yeasts ferment with different characteristics, so that is probably why your stout and beer in concern look different. I would guess you used the same yeast this time as in the IPA that you dumped. Pull a sample, and unless the beer smells and/or tastes infected, don't dump it!! Can you post a picture?

Did you taste the beer before you dumped it? I would've guessed it was just yeast sediment or something.

Taste the new one, it's probably fine. Don't dump it based on how it looks!

Ill try to post a pic after work. We didn't taste the IPA, stupid I know, but as a for smells it seems to be normal. I haven't tasted it yet but I plan on tonight before I keg it.

Also I just want to add that it doesn't dissilve like foam or bubbles but its more like a solid that just breaks apart.

This is the best picks i can get. i think it makes it look worse than it is but you can see how thin the layer is and when i give it a bit of a tussle it looks like yeast parties falling.

image-1373420548.jpg

image-452945909.jpg

Back