Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patjofo

Reaction score
Hi-

I brewed this Northern Brewer Pliny clone a week and a half ago, krausen has still not dropped. I pitched about a packet and a half of 1056. Tried to pitch 2 packets but some yeast leaked from the top of the fermentor due to a ton of foam.

Anyways what I am trying to determine is whether or not to transfer to a secondary and dry hop once the krausen drops or to just dry hop in the primary, thoughts?

Thanks

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/PlinianLegacy.pdf

I will tell you what I do, some will disagree.
I don't do a secondary. Typically I ferment for 3 weeks then bottle. If I dry hop. I throw them in loose 7 days before bottling. On bottling day I secure a paint strainer with a rubber band and fishing line coming out the fermenter over the end of the racking cane.

I will tell you what I do, some will disagree.
I don't do a secondary. Typically I ferment for 3 weeks then bottle. If I dry hop. I throw them in loose 7 days before bottling. On bottling day I secure a paint strainer with a rubber band and fishing line coming out the fermenter over the end of the racking cane.

What is the fishing line for?

So i don't leave the paint strainer bag in the carboy when I remove the racking cane

One and a half weeks is to soon to expect the krausen to drop. Wait three weeks then dry hop in the primary.

alternatively to putting a filter over the cane, you can boil one of the muslin hop bags and toss those in

I put my hops in 1 gallon paint strainer bags. Tied up as loose as possible. One ounce in each bag. I push them through the neck of my Better Bottles, during primary after fermentation has finished, and 5-7 days before I keg them. I siphon out from under the bags then after the beer is out I fish out the bags. Works great.

One and a half weeks is to soon to expect the krausen to drop. Wait three weeks then dry hop in the primary.

I wouldn't say this, on most of my beers the krausen has dropped buy the end of the first week. Almost all have dropped in 1 1/2 weeks and a couple had most dropped but still some floaties for as long as 6 weeks. (transferred out from under it)

So, depends on the recipe and yeast.

What is the fishing line for?

A little hard to see.

IMG_20141115_111042712.jpg

Like others, I would wait 2-3 weeks then dry hop for 5 days or so and package. However, sometimes I wonder if it would be beneficial to cold crash and maybe even gelatin for a few days to pull down the yeast, then bring the carboys out to ambient temps and dry hop for 5 days or so. This would clear up the yeast and keep more oils from eventually being pulled down with them. Then cold crash again and package. Any thoughts?

Back