Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerclone

Reaction score
Are there any negative effects from dry hopping too long? The recipe I uses for an IPA said to dry hop 5-7 days but it will be more like 10-14 days when I bottle. Thoughts?

10-14 days will be fine but I get powerful results with as little as 4.

I woukdnt go longer than 14 days. You can develop grassy vegetal aromas

Some people say that around and after 14 days or so you can start to get "grassy" flavors and aromas. I have left a couple beers on the dryhop for longer then that and have never noticed this. I have found that the aroma from a dryhop reaches its peak after about 5 days, then starts to fade. Thats the only downside I can see from a dryhop that long.

Haven't every dry-hopped long enough to experience it myself, but going for more than a week is supposed to release grassy or vegetal off-flavors as the hops continue to disintegrate in the beer.

If you know you can't bottle for 10-14 days, is there any reason you can't just hold off a few days on adding the dry hops, so you can still hit your 5-7 day target?

After listening to this conversation for a couple years,I'm begining to think it might have something to do with the hops as to when they turn grassy or cheesy. Maybe if you used herbal like hops,it might not be as noticeable? they say after 7-10 days it can turn grassy or worse. I do 7 days & it's fine.

Most of dry hopping is aroma so you will be fine. Peace

I have always dry hoped at the start of secondary fermentation, and left it in there until keging. Never had any grass or off flavors. I'll try 5-7 days next time.

Back