Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wags13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planing on brewing a fairly standard amber tomorrow, but wanted to give it a little something extra in terms of flavor. Thought I'd dryhop 1.5 ounce Amarillo. I'd like the flavor/aroma to be subtle and sweet because I have some chinook in at 60 min. to carry the bitterness. Never dry hopped before, when should add it??

Add it after primary fermentation is complete. I do this in the keg but it also works well to put them in the secondary when racking or you can add to primary after the yeast has dropped. Yeast cells will absorb some hop compounds so they will be pulled out of the beer when the yeast drops out; therefore it is better to wait for the yeast to dropout.

I usually ferment for 3 weeks and dry hop the last 7 days. I try never to dry hop more than 10 days and never less than 5.
Normally, I use a hop bag but you can go commando if using pellets. If using leaf hops, find a new and clean (wash and sanitize well) stainless steel ball and put inside the hop sack and the leaf hops will settle.

Back