Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rack to a bottling bucket running it through just the "strainer" from my funnel if I don't use something to hold the hops. Lately I have been using a "hop bag" when I dry hop. Much easier and cleaner when racking but it seems to come at a cost of some aroma.

I put a hop bag over the end of my racking cane to filter the wort as it siphons into the bottling bucket, works great! Don't forget to sanitize it first :)

Just be careful or look up 'crash cooling'. If you have somewhere to put the fermenter in a fridge for a couple of days it will help the hops settle. Many use a hop bag on the end of their racking cane like duboman suggested. I would not use a strainer between your racking cane and bottling bucket though. You will simply be just aerating your wort. If you can rack the beer without using either, than surely that is even better.

No strain, no bag over cane, just rack normally.. try to avoid any floating clumps of hops. Then just let the bottling bucket sit a few minutes. But like noted above, if you have the room go for a cold crash, it will deff help.

I just started cold crashing,only because hop pellots were everywhere,i just go overnight and its clear the next day.I just got a new fridge so i have the space to do this with my old fridge now.
Although it is taking longer for them to carb in the bottle which is fine for me.With leaf hops i probably will try racking from underneath them and hopfully be able to still siphon all of it,at least until i get a tea ball or some marbles for a hop bag. I dont like having them float in a bag, i feel im not getting a good utilization of dryhopping that way.
I didnt have a good experinece with rubberbanding a piece of nylon around the auto siphon tip, i had a lot of bubbleing and it was clogging,but that beer still turned out very good.It seems many people do this without trouble though.I also dont want pieces getting stuck in every nook and cranny of my equipemet trying to rack with hop flakes in suspension so i either take out the hops(using a bag) or let them settle(cold crashing). I recently dry hopped loose pellots in two different beers at the same time, one settled out naturally the other didnt- its been my experience it doesnt settle usually without cold crashing it.

thats a good question since I am new at this as well. My 2nd batch i plan on making is a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone that calls for dry hopping. I plan on transferring from primary fermenter (6.5 gal plastic bucket) to a 5 gallon glass carboy. Do you just add the hops to the carboy? What is the best way to add the hops to the secondary fermenter (glass carboy)

Ok all,
I dont think cold crashing for me is an option so I'm gonna try to rack it straight up and resort to a hop bag over the end of the siphon if I cant avoid the hops. One love

Latest posts

Back