Dry Hopping with Tea Balls Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew862

Reaction score
So I am using 3" stainless tea balls to dry hop with pellets in my keg. I have two tea balls with about 1oz each in the keg. I threw them in (sanitized) to sink to the bottom.

My question, should I have used line to suspend them higher in the keg or is it ok that they are in the bottom? I realize now that they are essentially sitting at the draft tube and each glass I pour is being pulled directly from around the tea balls.

Is this a negative, or should I just be glad I am getting maximum hops with each pour?

My concern is that the hops are not diffusing into the overall beer volume as intended.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

As your tball coach, I should advise you that it will make a difference for the first few days when you pull off some pours. After 5 to 7 days I doubt you will notice anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use tea balls too (also 2-3inches diameter) but usually for things like lavender flowers or spices. If I put hops in them I try not to put more than 1/2oz in each as they expand significantly and I feel I'm not getting the best efficiency. Nowadays for dry hopping I just throw them loose into the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back