Dry Hopping With Apollo Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millpig

Reaction score
Brewed the NB "Off The Topper Clone" today. While making the beer (already threw the grains in) I realized I wasn't given any of the Apollo hops that are called for. The recipe calls for .5 oz at flame out and another .5 oz once the wort reached 180 degrees. Since I didn't have any other hops I didn't substitute. I called NB and they are going to be sending me 2oz in the mail. The recipe calls for you to dry hop w/ .25oz of Apollo for the first rnd of dry hoping then .25 the second rnd of dry hoping.

My question here is if anyone has used Apollo hops to dry hop? Since NB is sending me 2 oz. I figured I would just dry hop with 1oz during rnd 1 of dry hop and another 1oz in second rnd of dry hop. Just curious what types of aromas it puts off? I read articles of people saying apollo hops infused a cat piss like aroma..so I wasn't sure how adding 2 oz during the dry hoping stage would go. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

so this is a DIPA brew? 5gal i assume? with missing the knockout and whirlpool, i'd toss in both OZ. even 2 oz seems low for a dryhop in a DIPA...but i've never used Apollo.

i typically do at least 3+ oz dryhop in a DIPA. For example, look at the Pliny clones out there - 3.5oz at knockout, and another 3.75 dry hop.

take the chance, drop both oz' i'm sure you won't regret it!

What is the purpose of multiple dry hop sessions? Why would it make a difference when you put the hops in. I can understand the reason for different additions during the boil, but for dry hopping there is no boil action. What is being gained by multiple dry hop sessions as opposed to adding all at one time.

What is the purpose of multiple dry hop sessions? Why would it make a difference when you put the hops in. I can understand the reason for different additions during the boil, but for dry hopping there is no boil action. What is being gained by multiple dry hop sessions as opposed to adding all at one time.

Northeast IPA typically has first half-ish of dry hops towards the end of active fermentation (gravity around 1.020), then another round of dry hops after fermentation is complete.

so this is a DIPA brew? 5gal i assume? with missing the knockout and whirlpool, i'd toss in both OZ. even 2 oz seems low for a dryhop in a DIPA...but i've never used Apollo.

i typically do at least 3+ oz dryhop in a DIPA. For example, look at the Pliny clones out there - 3.5oz at knockout, and another 3.75 dry hop.

take the chance, drop both oz' i'm sure you won't regret it!

Thanks for the reply. This is the boil/dry hop schedule:

Turn off heat, add Flame Out Hops.
Allow to stand for 10-15 min before chilling
- 2 oz Simcoe (0 min - Flame Out)
- 1 oz Columbus (0 min - Flame Out)
- 0.5 oz Apollo (0 min - Flame Out)
Once the wort has cooled to 180 degrees, stop chilling and
add the following hops. Allow to steep for an additional
10-15 min, then resume chilling.
- 1 oz Columbus
- 1 oz Simcoe
- 1 oz Amarillo
- 0.5 oz Centennial
- 0.5 oz Apollo
DRY HOPS
Split the dry hops in half, and add in two different stages. Dry
hop with half in primary for 4 days, then transfer to secondary
and dry hop with the other half for another 4 days.
- 2 oz Simcoe
- 1 oz Columbus
- 1 oz Amarillo
- 1 oz Centennial
- 0.5 oz Apollo

Just figured at this point where it says to add Apollo hops for the dry hoping I'd be doubling it since I now have more. At this point I'm saying F it an just tossing in everything!

that looks better! :)
yup - toss'm in!

i think it's about time i make a good DIPA....thanks for the inspiration!

cheers,

Latest posts

Back