Dry Hopping (which is the best method?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDave1303

Reaction score
HI
I am brewing a barley wine kit and the instructions for the Dry Hop stage say the following.

"Add the foil bags of hops as follows: Empty the hops into a clean 1 litre jug, use a knife to break them up (for around 1 minute) then add 500ml of boiling water. Continue to use the knife to pulverise the hops in the water for a further 2 minutes then use a large spoon to transfer just the hops into your beer, leaving the liquid behind (don’t worry if a few hops remain in the jug)."

Every you tube video I have seen does not do the above procedure. Pellets are either added loose or put into muslin bags. IMO I would loose flavour by following the instructions.

Fermenting in a GF conical, currently on day 5, High ferment stage over & have started raising the temp from 20c to 25c as the SG drops. Dumped trub this morning.

What do you experts think is the best method for the dry hop?

1 - Dry hopping a barley wine makes no sense because of the very long conditioning time
2 - Dry hopping is a form of cold extraction. If you're dumping the hops in boiling water you're not dry hopping.

Is it an all-grain kit? If so it must be one of the worst kits around.

Its an extract kit. Thought I'd give it a try.
I made a chimay years ago & it took about 2-3 years in total. It was really nice.

Back