Dry Hopping Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atek

Reaction score
Ok, this may have been done before, if so I apologize. I was curious about those who have dry hopped meads and what the findings are. Basically which hops did you like the best, what amount of hops per gallon and how long did you let it sit. I know there is no absolute right answer but I was hoping to hear from other experiences and notes on taste and what they did exactly before devising my own plan. :mug:

I found with the few braggots I have done in the past that it takes very little hops to get the flavor and aroma to come through. I have used Cascade and Saaz. I think I like the taste Saaz imparted more but I like Cascade aroma better. I have used 1/5 - 1/3 of an ounce of hops per gallon dry hopped for about 2 weeks and that works for me. I have heard others say they use a full ounce per gallon but often get responses like "the aroma was intense! Or Harsh but age mellows it out".

Do a search for "hop metheglin" -- there are a couple of threads out there that you may find interesting, or perhaps inspire an idea or two. I have never *solely* dry hopped a mead, but when I have done hop mead, I have also dry hopped, in addition to the boil hops.

I would recommend adding at least an ounce or two (for a 5-6 gal batch) of whatever hop you tend to like the aroma and/or flavor of, and give it 1-2 weeks after you think you are ready for bottling then package it.

I would mention that some hop flavors/aromas do change/fade with time, so perhaps this would be better with a lower abv mead that you might consume more quickly? I know when I use both boil as well as dry hops it seems to age well, but I wonder if this would hold up with only dry hops? I'm truly just spitballing here....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I just bought a can of sparkling dry hopped mead from the store recently. It was horrible.

Hmm... given this information I may simply stabilize and sweeten the batches I'm currently considering, unless anyone can attest to plain dry sparkling mead being any good.

I will likely brew a clone of what I have and do a boil of the hops in the water that would be added to the honey. Then Dry hop after fermentation. I'll post my recipe details here but any further comments on trials with mead and hops would be most appreciated! :)

Back