Dry Hopping (leaf or pettet)? and oxygen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeR

Reaction score
OK I love my IPAs but I always seem to get knocked when judged for oxidized off flavor.

when I currently dry hop I put my leaf hops in a bag, hang it in my keg and then fill keg with Co2 to push out the air, then slowly fill keg with beer from carboy.

now I do it this way to let the Co2 replace the air in the hop leafs. but I am having 2nd thoughts on this.

should I be using pellets to dry hop with? no oxygen in pellets. and do the same procedure.

How do you dry hop and not get the oxidized off flavor?

CR-

It could be two separate questions so on that front I'll give two separate answers.

I always use pellets. I just have a thing against whole leaf hops. There is much that I can say about it but in short, whole leaf hops are THE reason why pellets were invented. LOL

The oxidized off flavours could be coming from before you dry hop. Have you sampled the beer before and after to be sure? Have you tried doing the transfer without dry hopping to see if it's just process vs ingredients? I would be more inclined to look in that direction rather than the hops.

The oxidized off flavours could be coming from before you dry hop. Have you sampled the beer before and after to be sure? Have you tried doing the transfer without dry hopping to see if it's just process vs ingredients? I would be more inclined to look in that direction rather than the hops.

I thought about that, but on this last IIPA i made, i made sure not to splash the Wort above 90deg and tried to follow what others had said about how to correct this.

I wish Beersmith would separate out hops being called out as leaf or pellet.

Ah HSA. I wouldn't worry about it. You can get oxidized flavours from other places.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about BeerSmith. I use it and there are pull down menus for the hops to indicate if they are pellet or whole. Is that what you mean?

Ah HSA. I wouldn't worry about it. You can get oxidized flavours from other places.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about BeerSmith. I use it and there are pull down menus for the hops to indicate if they are pellet or whole. Is that what you mean?

Let me clarify, when i add everything to the "shopping list" it doesn't separate the hops, it just lumps them all together.

I successfully use whole hop cones in the keg all the time, so I am certain that isn't where your oxidation is coming from. You could just drop the hops bag into the keg, and rack the beer onto it (that's what I do).

I really think the oxidation is coming from someplace else. Either too long in a fermenter with too much headspace, oxygen update when racking to the keg, bottling from the keg with too much foaming, etc. There is some contact with oxygen in the finished beer somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be related to hops that I can see.

I successfully use whole hop cones in the keg all the time, so I am certain that isn't where your oxidation is coming from. You could just drop the hops bag into the keg, and rack the beer onto it (that's what I do).

I really think the oxidation is coming from someplace else. Either too long in a fermenter with too much headspace, oxygen update when racking to the keg, bottling from the keg with too much foaming, etc. There is some contact with oxygen in the finished beer somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be related to hops that I can see.

cool thanks,

MMm bottling from the keg, maybe time to get a beer gun...

Latest posts

Back