Dry hopping in the primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
So I think my next batch of beer will be 10 gallons of Dude's Lakewater Pale Ale split into 2 better bottles. It specifies 2oz of hops to dry hop into the secondary. Typically I'll ferment in the primary for 2 weeks then transfer to a corny (sort of a secondary) and carbonate/serve.

I don't really want to dry hop into the corny kegs as I'll either have a bunch of hops to worry about containing with a strainer bag or stainless tea ball. Can I just put the hops in the primary after a week and leave them in there for a week before transferring to a corny?

If I need to I can dry hop in the corny but I can see it being more of a hassle then just being able to dump the hops into the primary.

I know this doesn't exactly address you question, but a vendor here Stainlessbrewing has a really cool new dry hopper for the corney. I am waiting for some extra cash to buy one but it looks effective.

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper_p_155.html

!hopper.jpg

That's what I'm thinking, wait 7 days until vigorous fermentation is all but done then dump the hops in and leave for 7 more day. Then when I rack to the corny's I'll leave behind the hop in the primary.

I saw the dry hop container from stainlessbrewing.com but it gets expensive since I need 2 of them, looks nice though. I think I'm about to get one of their stainless hop spiders.

Save yourself a lot of work racking to secondary. Just dry hop in the primary. Lots of us do it all the time w/out any problem.

Do yourself a favor and get a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Lowes and sanitize then put your siphon in it while racking. This will filter out all the hop pellets and you wont have to worry about sucking up lots of hop particles. I only dry hop in primary with pellets and this method works great.

Back