Dry hopping in a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
So, both my buckets Are full and I was left with only a 5g carboy to dry hop with. So.... How the hell do I get a muslin bag full of 2oz of leaf cascade shoved into the mouth of a carboy?

Eventually I just gave up and tossed it in the primary bucket. Should I be worried about an additional 2 weeks on the yeast cAke? It's been in the bucket for a bout 3 weeks already

You'll be fine, but I would give it 10 days at most for the dryhop. I put loose leafs in my carboy, giant PITA. Never again....

So, both my buckets Are full and I was left with only a 5g carboy to dry hop with. So.... How the hell do I get a muslin bag full of 2oz of leaf cascade shoved into the mouth of a carboy?

Eventually I just gave up and tossed it in the primary bucket. Should I be worried about an additional 2 weeks on the yeast cAke? It's been in the bucket for a bout 3 weeks already

I've found that the best way to dryhop with a hop bag of any kind is to insert the sanitized bad into the carboy leaving the top part open just above the neck. I generally just hold it in place and pour hops in occasionally using my finger to force them further into the bag. When the bag is filled with your selected dryhops, simply pull the top tight and drop it in.

The bigger problem for me was removing it from my carboy. Not easy.

I will probably just use the keg next time, I just had both my kegs full as well.

Does anyone on here ever carb up their beers and serve them with the dry hop still in the keg?

I haven't tried it with a bag yet, but the first time I used my finger to smash them in the carboy and dumped half on the floor. Second time i pushed them into a funnel and jammed a kabob stick through to push them in. Seemed to work with much less mess.

Back