Dry Hopping Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
Ok, so I cracked open my APA today and it was decent although not carbonated enough yet. But what I thought it was lacking was that nice hop aroma. I thought it was missing it at bottling but I didn't want to wait 2 more weeks and dry hop then. In retrospect I was thinking maybe a good way to both dry hop and add some novelty to my beer would have been to throw a hop or 2 in each bottle at bottling. Then you would get both the dry hopping and also a hop floating in your beer when you poured (the novelty). I'm sure I'm not the first person that thought of this but I was wondering if anyone had done it or what you think of the idea. so let me know if you think I'm an idiot or a genius.

I think I remember reading in Papazian's book, "The Ultimate Joy of Homebrewing," he mentioned something about that, and that it didn't work.

Good thought though. For more hop aroma, add hops at flameout

Ok, so I cracked open my APA today and it was decent although not carbonated enough yet. But what I thought it was lacking was that nice hop aroma. I thought it was missing it at bottling but I didn't want to wait 2 more weeks and dry hop then. In retrospect I was thinking maybe a good way to both dry hop and add some novelty to my beer would have been to throw a hop or 2 in each bottle at bottling. Then you would get both the dry hopping and also a hop floating in your beer when you poured (the novelty). I'm sure I'm not the first person that thought of this but I was wondering if anyone had done it or what you think of the idea. so let me know if you think I'm an idiot or a genius.

Throwing a hop pellet into a beer makes for a ton of sediment and no real benefit to flavor. You get to drink hop mush and that tastes bad.

Instead of bottling with hops, just serve it with a hop cone garnish. Much better than limes or oranges IMO

I wasn't gonna add hop pellets I was gonna add hop cones. I have plenty of leaf hops sitting here. Although I don't plan on doing another APA or IPA anytime soon so it was just a thought for the future. I know to add more at flameout but I thought this beer was going to be good as was just wasn't the hoppiness I desired.

BM is right on, make a small hop tea and add some to the beer.
Try your idea with just a beer or two next time you bottle and let us know how your experience plays out!

Back