Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing - simultaneous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanson95

Reaction score
I'm brewing an APA in which I'm dry hopping (which I haven't done much) and cold crashing (which I've never done before). The recipe says to ferment for 14 days and dry hop for 5.
So is that 19 days total, or do I start the dry hopping at 9 days?
If I also want to cold crash for a couple days, do I wait until after 5 days of dry hopping, or do I start the cold crash on day 3 of dry hopping?
Thanks for any input!

Probably ferment, dry hop, cold crash. And if you want a tad more hoppy flavour do it in that order as the dry hop flavor can sometimes dissipate quickly.

From my limited experience it's a nice pale ale and more lasting taste if you add a bunch of hops at flame out

What are you using for equipment? Carboy keg?

You're going to cold crash and then what?

You can cold crash with the hops. you can rack secondary with hops if you like

Blarneybrew said:
What are you using for equipment? Carboy keg? You're going to cold crash and then what? You can cold crash with the hops. you can rack secondary with hops if you like

Thanks for the responses. I'm using a stainless fermenter (Deep Woods Cavern), with no secondary. I'm bottling after the cold crash.

Then toss the hops in after 14 days, wait five, and then cold crash with hops in my opinion. How long did they say to cold crash? Should probably do two to four days

Blarneybrew said:
Then toss the hops in after 14 days, wait five, and then cold crash with hops in my opinion. How long did they say to cold crash? Should probably do two to four days

How long to cold crash? Thats a good question. I was thinking 2 days, but I can wait 4 if that might produce a better beer. Having never cold crashed, I should also ask - is that simply turning the temp down and holding? 38 degrees?

Yes, the fermenter is awesome! Well worth the money if you can afford it. Easy to move, easy to clean, durable, shiny!

I like 4 days at 34. But I keg, not bottle. The priming sugar should react regardless. Is 38 used for any particular reason that you know of?

Blarneybrew said:
I like 4 days at 34. But I keg, not bottle. The priming sugar should react regardless. Is 38 used for any particular reason that you know of?

No, I just heard to get close to freezing. 34 for 4 works for me! But now you have me wondering about cold crashing and using priming sugar...

It could be debatable. You could go four days at 34 and fill the bottles a little aggressively for a wee bit aeration. it's acidic enough that from fermenter to fill to cap isn't going to damage the beer imo

I've done it. apa hit final grav, I through the hops in and later that day decided to cold crash for 48(2day dry hop with citra Amarillo, then transfer to the keg to carb up. Results seemed to be a subtler effect. Smoother and overall more crisp. I felt like I may have blended with the beer better. One could argue that in the time the beer was chilling down from 68 the hops had better utililization, and the time I was cooler the hops were absorbed far less. Id do it again for sure. Maybe ahold the hops for 48 more

Latest posts

Back