dry hopped with hop pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody34

Reaction score
Will the hops sink eventually or do I siphon under them to rack to bottling bucket? Right now, after 4 days of dry hopping, I have a layer of hop particles floating on top. Bottling in 3 days.

Although my suggestion is a bit late, I use a hop bag sanitized and filled with marbles for dry hopping. Keeps the stuff at the bottom and then no trub to worry about. Second suggestion in this case is go to Lowes or HD and buy a paint strainer bag, cut a two inch piece off and wrap it around your racking cane and throw a rubber band (all items sanitized) on there to hold it on.

I always have dry hops floating on the top. Just rack under them, as your beer siphons, the hops will stick to the sides of the pail.

I thought about a hop bag but as a noob I kinda thought they were for whole hops, not the pellets. Live and learn. Sounds like I have some careful siphoning ahead of me. I guess a few pieces of hops in my bottles won't ruin my day. Thanks for the paint strainer idea...will def try that.

gcdowd said:
I always have dry hops floating on the top. Just rack under them, as your beer siphons, the hops will stick to the sides of the pail.

Thanks. I had replied before I saw your post.

I thought about a hop bag but as a noob I kinda thought they were for whole hops, not the pellets. Live and learn. Sounds like I have some careful siphoning ahead of me. I guess a few pieces of hops in my bottles won't ruin my day. Thanks for the paint strainer idea...will def try that.

Meh, I am still a noob too. Don't let that bother you. Some other guys use the stainless tea ball clamshells.

I'd say there's a good chance much of the goo will sink in the next couple days.

In any case, just rack out from under it as someone else said above. The worst that happens is you get a little additional sediment.

If you're using an auto-siphon, watch out they can get clogged pretty easily with hop particles. Same with the tip of the bottling wand (the part with the spring in it). Others do it all the time and have no problems, but I personally will never dry-hop again without containing the hops in at least a muslin bag.

Don't put dry hops in a bag. Put the bag on your auto siphon with a rubber band or better yet get a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and you don't even have to attach it to the auto siphon because the end of the bag sticks up out of the carboy. Pellet hops work great for dry hopping, toss 'em in. Give 'em a few days and then cold crash for 3 days and all the hops will be sitting nicely on the bottom. Siphon through a bag and you will never have a problem.

cold-crashing will go a long way in making the hops sink to the bottom.

putting the pellets in a hop bag will work, but that not optimal IMO since the bag limits how much interaction the hops have with the beer. set those pellets free.

instead, take that same hop bag - with its fine mesh - and stick that over the end of your racking cane when you transfer. sanitize the bag beforehand and hold in place with a twist-tie (also sanitized). if the bag is good enough to keep the hop particles inside, it'll do just as well keeping them from going into the racking cane.

edit: what chumpsteak said.

I use a hop bag...pellets can be a pain and really make the beer hazy. Cold crashing can usually eliminate this problem but I am switching to leaf and whole soon for dry hopping...they have more flavor and aroma as well

I use a hop bag...pellets can be a pain and really make the beer hazy. Cold crashing can usually eliminate this problem but I am switching to leaf and whole soon for dry hopping...they have more flavor and aroma as well

It's ok to have some haze from dry hopping.

in fact, a small amount of haze from dry-hopping is to be expected. the style descriptions for IIPA, for example, reads: "Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy." (http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1c)

I am switching to leaf and whole soon for dry hopping...they have more flavor and aroma as well
that last statement is highly debatable.

Back