dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
onto my second batch. While my first red ale sits and works things through, I visited my local brew pub and supply store to get my newest ingredients. I am making a clone of the Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.

It calls for Dry Hopping:
.66 Magnum
1 oz Crystal
.66 Citra

So I get it, but wanted whole hops, but they gave me pellets. The recipe didn't specify whole or pellets. I assumed it would be whole....

Question: Is it ok to use the pellets in the above amounts or should I get whole leafs in that amount?

:confused:

Pellets are fine... Some prefer pellets, some prefer whole hops, and some prefer a mixture of both. Have fun..

I doubt you actually need to, but did you attempt anything similar to the torpedo that they use?

The biggest difference between whole hops & pellets is the amount. At .66oz, whole leaf would have greater volume than pellets. Otherwise the other differences are small.

I prefer to dry hop with pellets. Dry Whole leaf hops are like little sponges that suck up your beer so you don't have as much at the end. They are also a pain to get out of a carboy.

Yeah,I have to squeeze them to get that juice out. But I use grain sacks for whole leaf,& have plastic fermenters,so it's a lil easier.

I just got done Dry Hopping with whole hops and man I wish I would have used a grain bag. As far as the pellets I will be trying those next time, I hope they sink to the bottom. And yes I lost about a half gallon of my brew because they soaked it all in. Let me know how the pellets work!!

I used Fuggle hops and It taste Great. :rockin:

irish red.jpg

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!! Is that the primary or did you rack it to a secondary?

This is the secondary. I kept in in he Primary for about 7 days then transferred to and dry hopped it for another 7 days. Again the worst part was getting it out of there one it was ready for the bottle. I think next time I will use pellets and a grain bag to keep it contained. I have hop leave in the last few bottles lol adds an extra kick! :mug:

I use hop sacks for up to 1oz of pellets. I only use the grain sacks for raw (same as whole leaf) hops' greater volume per the same weight.

Latest posts

Back