Dry hop/racking question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
I'm gradually trying to up my game in reducing oxygen in my ipa/apa brews.

I will be racking to keg tonight with a closed transfer method using a ss racking cane to a ball lock connection (out) on the purged keg pushing with CO2. I hope that makes sense.
I've got two hop bags in the fermenter and wondering if I can just rack around the bags knowing they will hold some beer. I hate to open the fermenter to retrieve them which seems to defeat the purpose of the closed transfer.
(I will dry hop commando next time).

Sure you can rack "around" them. They may hold onto some beer, which will likely mix with the trub when they reach the bottom and start (slowly) oozing it out.

To prevent sucking up trub, start racking from the middle and lower the cane as the level drops.
Toward the end of the transfer, tilt the fermenter to keep the siphoning well deep.
As soon as you start sucking up trub or air, pull the QD off the keg.

Sure you can rack "around" them. They may hold onto some beer, which will likely mix with the trub when they reach the bottom and start (slowly) oozing it out.

To prevent sucking up trub, start racking from the middle and lower the cane as the level drops.
Toward the end of the transfer, tilt the fermenter to keep the siphoning well deep.
As soon as you start sucking up trub or air, pull the QD off the keg.

For my first attempt at closed transfer things went smoothly.
The hop bags were a headache and it would have been easier without them.

Doing this now actually with my set up. Good luck brother!
image.jpg

Doing this now actually with my set up. Good luck brother!View attachment 732485

I also used the same Fermonster fermenter but with no port. Stainless racking cane to "out" QD on keg. I used your previous posts to get started in the closed transfer method. Thanks

Do you use a scale to know when the keg is full? I used a bathroom scale but I'm not confident in it's accuracy. Who trusts a bathroom scale anyway??
I had about 5 1/2 gal of beer so I just filled some bottles after I determined the keg was full but hopefully not too full. No beer came out the prv or was visible in the gas line.

I do not use a scale. I actually just use a cup of hot water. Once you feel you’re getting close to full pour some hot water down the top part of the keg abc let it run down. Then touch the keg. What ever stays warm on the keg has air behind it, what ever is cold has your beer behind it. That’s way you can see how filled the keg is.

The other option is to buy a good scale

Last edited:
Since I didn't trust the bathroom scale I did watch the condensation move up the outside of the keg as the cold beer filled it. Probably similar to your hot water method. Thanks

Latest posts

Back