dry hop question - first time dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I made Yoopers Pale Ale last weekend and am getting ready for the dry hop portion. I have never done a secondary in all of my roughly 15 batches. I have a couple of questions -

1) From what I have read, it is important to siphon to another fermenter before dry hopping - is that correct?

2) I have roughly 5.5 gallons in my primary fermenter and only have an ale pail bucket and a 6 gallon better bottle as fermenters that will fit that amount. Is it alright to use one of those or should I get a 5 gallon better bottle for my secondary?

I think that is all the questions I have for now.. thanks!

1) Definitely not necessary. In fact I will not being doing it again. Planning to toss directly in my primary bucket next time.

Makes point 2 null and void :)

In the end it's all up to you, the less headspace the better if you do transfer. Remember you will lose a .5ish gallon to trub

I'd say that probably most people siphon to secondary to dry hop. However, as twistr pointed out, its not "important" or necessary. You can dry hop just fine in a primary. The only issue is that most people like to put their hops in a bag and weigh it down so that it drops to the bottom, fully submerging the hops bag. If you do this in the primary you will stir up some sediment in the bottom. You can get creative with how you deal with this issue, i.e. weighted hops bag suspended by a piece of fishing line, etc.

Just drop the hops in. No need to make it any more complicated.

When you bottle in a few days, put a hop bag over the end of your siphon. Easy.

Since there doesn't seem to be any concerns to dry hopping in the primary, I will do just that.

Latest posts

Back