Dry hop necessary if over 100 IBU's????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I'm going to make a black IPA and according to beersmith the IBU's will be 102. The recipe calls for 1oz of dry hop for 7 days after primary fermentation. Is this really necessary since the IBU's are so high?

You can't smell IBUs, that is a measure of bitterness only. Dry hopping will add hop aroma (and to a lesser extent hop flavor). The two uses of hops are complementary.

Dry hopping adds mostly hop aroma, not bitterness (IBUs).

1oz dry hopping won't affect the IBUs at all, but will add desirable aroma. I'd consider adding even more hops for your dry hop.

Well, dry hopping is aroma and flavor, the IBUs are a measure of bitterness but not hop aroma or flavor. So I would say that if you want that nice shot of hoppy aroma and flavor from the beer like you'd usually expect with an IPA, you would want the dry hop.

You can't smell IBUs, that is a measure of bitterness only. Dry hopping will add hop aroma (and to a lesser extent hop flavor). The two uses of hops are complementary.

Dry hopping adds mostly hop aroma, not bitterness (IBUs).

1oz dry hopping won't affect the IBUs at all, but will add desirable aroma. I'd consider adding even more hops for your dry hop.

I understand what contributes to bitterness and aroma. I just can't fathom what 1oz of dry hops would do to a beer that's over 100 IBU's. In the last 15, 10, 5, and 0 minutes of the boil I will be adding a total of 4oz of hops. That's a lot of hops in the last few minutes of the boil that will contribute both bitterness and aroma.

I understand what contributes to bitterness and aroma. I just can't fathom what 1oz of dry hops would do to a beer that's over 100 IBU's. In the last 15, 10, 5, and 0 minutes of the boil I will be adding a total of 4oz of hops. That's a lot of hops in the last few minutes of the boil that will contribute both bitterness and aroma.

The aroma that you get from dry-hopping you simply can't get any other way regardless of how much hops goes into the kettle. If you don't dry-hop it won't even be close to the same beer. The IBU's have nothing to do with the aroma you get from dry-hopping.

BTW 1 oz is not a lot of dry hops.

BTW 1 oz is not a lot of dry hops.

That's what I'm saying. The recipe is from NB Black IPA AG. Not sure why they only suggest 1oz for dry hops. I can see maybe 1oz for a good pale ale, but not an IPA with an IBU of 102. Maybe I'll add an extra 3oz of cascade or something.

bansheerider said:
that's what i'm saying. The recipe is from nb black ipa ag. Not sure why they only suggest 1oz for dry hops. I can see maybe 1oz for a good pale ale, but not an ipa with an ibu of 102. Maybe i'll add an extra 3oz of cascade or something.
+1

That's what I'm saying. The recipe is from NB Black IPA AG. Not sure why they only suggest 1oz for dry hops. I can see maybe 1oz for a good pale ale, but not an IPA with an IBU of 102. Maybe I'll add an extra 3oz of cascade or something.

Sounds like they cut the dry hop to keep the kit price down. While 2-3 oz would probably give you a more aromatic brew, 1 oz should be better than nothing.

Well here's the bottom line - after the beer has fermented out give it a taste and see what you think. You can then decide to add the hops or not, depending on how it came out.

Well I guess the answer to my OP is yes, it is necessary to dry hop high ibu beers. Thanks everybody for the comments.

Back