Dry hop / kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burrito

Reaction score
I have an APA fermenting which I brewed last Saturday (May 3) and I need it kegged and force carb'd by Friday May 23.

I also need to do some dry hopping. I've been reading shorter dry hopping times results in more hop aroma as the aroma properties begin to break down after a while.

So what's my best strategy here? Should I drop in the hop bag when I rack to the keg? Should I do that on the 17th, giving the beer 2 full weeks in primary and then 6 days dry hopping in the keg while also carbonating under pressure? And does anyone know if dry hopping under pressure has any negative effect?

Also I've heard you should keep the keg in the fridge while carbonating. But dry hopping should be done at room temperature. This is the root of my logistical confusion.

If it were me, I'd ferment it for a week, then add the dry hops (right in the primary, still at room temperature) for the second week to let fermentation clean up and get your dry hopping going, then cold-crash it for 2-3 days and rack it to a keg (around Tuesday, May 20th). Then, still cold, put it on CO2 at 30 psi for a day. On Wednesday, May 21st, check the carbonation level. If it's carbed enough, dial the pressure back to 12 psi AND VENT THE EXCESS. If not, leave it at 30 psi, but check it every 6 hours until it's at the desired carb level.

you could force carb at room temp. you would just need to adjust your PSI. the warmer the liquid the harder it is for the Co2 to stay in the liquid.

Use this to calculate how much psi you need.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

Also, yes, at room temp you will get the hop aroma into the beer fast than at cold temps.

I'd go the other direction... Ferment for two weeks, cold crash, rack to keg with dry hops, put it in the fridge and get it force carbed the last week.
My theory is that dry hopping during the last of the fermentation will diminish the hops a bit, and doing them last means you get the freshest hop flavor.

Maybe dry hop this thursday during primary. Check gravity on mon and tue, keg on wed if done and slow force carb until the 23rd. Maybe up the psi slightly? I wouldnt cold crash prior to transfering to keg if you arent transporting it, more time you dont have. Although you may be bringing it somewhere (everything will shake back up). Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My theory is that dry hopping during the last of the fermentation will diminish the hops a bit, and doing them last means you get the freshest hop flavor.

The issue with dry hopping during fermentation is that the CO2 produced carries away the volatile hop oils that impart that precious aroma.

However, by the end of the first week, fermentation is basically done, and the yeast is merely cleaning up after itself. That is, it's not producing much CO2 at all, and thus any dry hops you add are relatively safe.

The problem with your suggestion is that dry hopping in cold beer drastically reduces the amount of aroma the hops are able to impart into the beer. Those hop oils are much more soluable at warmer temperatures. It's like the difference between trying to dissolve sugar into cold water, versus warm water.

Great input everyone. Thinking about trying it this way:

Cold crash primary on the 14th, for 2 days. Rack into keg with hops and let it sit and come back up to room temp. Give it 3 days (19th) and put in kegerator. Psi at 30 for 24 hrs and then 11 psi until we start drinking it on the 23rd

You're on the right track but could easily optimize a bit:
Once you put it in the keg you should start CO2 right away. You want to purge the air out to minimize oxidation. And most kegs as the CO2 dissolves into the beer the pressure drops enough that the o-ring doesn't seal completely and you'll let in air to oxidize.
You could also do a 24hr @ 50PSI room temperature force carb (this would give the same dissolved volume as the 30PSI @ 35F but start it 2 days earlier), then drop back to 20PSI for the other two days (standard carb pressure for room temp holding), then down to the 11PSI when you pop it in the fridge.

Yeah that makes more sense.

I'll prob give it a full 2 weeks in primary and then keg/dryhop under pressure and just throw it in the fridge wed or Thurs.

Back