Dry Hop Critique Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
Sup peeps -

OK I have a kit I am getting ready to brew. But like usual I have to tweak. I'm using the kit as a base. With that said I'm looking for dry hop critiques here, not critiques on the actual kit/ingredients.

Recipe is as follows:

9# Light Malt Extract
1.5# Crystal 15L
2oz Columbus @60
1oz Simcoe @30
2oz Columbus @1
1oz Simcoe @1

The recipe uses 2oz Centennial for dry hopping. I want to add to that.

So I'm thinking:

2oz Centennial
1oz Cascade
1oz Simcoe
1oz Citra

I'm a firm believer that any less than 3oz per 5 gallons for dry hopping is not enough. So let's keep this thread to the idea more is better :)

This looks like a PA/IPA

Are you going to add the recommend centennial hops meant for dry hopping into the hop schedule?

I like your dry hop additions I personally would drop the cascade and use Amarillo (maybe sorachi ace) amarillo is the forgotten dry hop that is underrated yet produces great brews when used for dry hopping, so is sorachi

This looks like a PA/IPA

Are you going to add the recommend centennial hops meant for dry hopping into the hop schedule?

I like your dry hop additions I personally would drop the cascade and use Amarillo (maybe sorachi ace) amarillo is the forgotten dry hop that is underrated yet produces great brews when used for dry hopping, so is sorachi

Yes I will use the hops intended for the dry hopping.

Cascade goes well with Centennial, that is why I have it there. It also goes well with Simcoe and Citra.

At this point Citra is the odd man out. Amarillo may be OK but my personal take is it is a poor man's Citra. So if I'm gonna add Amarillo I might as well add Citra instead.

Columbus goes really well with simcoe, cascade, and centennial in a dry hop. Since, you're using it in the boil you may as well carry it through.

You're right though, Citra is the odd man out. Personally, I don't think you'll get much from the citra you wont get from the combination of everything else and columbus would do nicely in rounding out that aroma with a bit more earthy pine. This looks like it will be a bitter brew and I find that bitterness benefits from some of that columbus piney goodness on the nose.

Columbus goes really well with simcoe, cascade, and centennial in a dry hop. Since, you're using it in the boil you may as well carry it through.

You're right though, Citra is the odd man out. Personally, I don't think you'll get much from the citra you wont get from the combination of everything else and columbus would do nicely in rounding out that aroma with a bit more earthy pine. This looks like it will be a bitter brew and I find that bitterness benefits from some of that columbus piney goodness on the nose.

Columbus huh? Hmmm...some thinking to do lol

Why no love for citra for dry hop? I've found it pretty potent in that role. My most pungent IPA was citra based.

I ask because I have a beer brewing now which is going to get 80g motueka and 100g citra (roughly 2.5oz and 3.5oz for you American types). I'm optimistic that it should be tropical goodness.

Why no love for citra for dry hop? I've found it pretty potent in that role. My most pungent IPA was citra based.

I ask because I have a beer brewing now which is going to get 80g motueka and 100g citra (roughly 2.5oz and 3.5oz for you American types). I'm optimistic that it should be tropical goodness.

I love citra. I have a few really killer citra brews. For this batch I'm trying to stay away from it and do something different.

Citra is phenomenal. There are just times in which it won't be worth the effort (read money). Citra is amazing because of its intensity of citrus. For example, a galaxy, mosaic, citra IPA is downright perfect. That's because they each bring a ton of one specific thing to the table. In this brew there is a ton of citrus from the other hops (cascade,sumcoe, and centennial): and Citra won't do anything but exemplify that. All the other hops are bringing that to the table and using something like Columbus will "round" it out.

Latest posts

Back