Dry ale yeast with low attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiichi

Reaction score
Hi gents,
I just opened a bottle of my second ever brew and my first ever own recipe (extract).
I am pretty pleased with how this IPA came out. Of course I have already learned a couple of new things and made notes to improve the next one, so I am confident my next brew will be even better.

One thing I want for my next one is more sweetness. While this one is not like very dry, it could be less so to compliment the fruit flavours I was going for.

Currently I am using Safale S-04, which I really like. It drops out like a freaking brick. It was good on the first brew bug with the bottle I killed today I was watching for the junk to come at the end, but it did not. I literally left a single milli meter (0.04 inch) in there, the dropout was so solid.

Now I would like to stick with dry yeast for now (otherwise I would just use WLP002 I think, but I don´t wanne do starters and all that yet) and am looking for something I can use which will leave me with more residual sweetnes than S-04.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Good dropout is of course very welcome.

Sounds like you need some more non-ferment able sugars. If you were brewing all-grain I'd say to mash a bit hotter but since you're doing extract maybe one of the more experienced extract brewers here can give us a trick for getting those dextrins into your beer.

Windsor.

+1 on your decision to stick with dry yeast until you are ready/willing/able to do yeast starters. Smart move. If you don't already, take a look at rehydrating your dry yeast before pitching.

For dextrins, you can start using some steeping grains, like caramel or crystal malts. Start at maybe 5% of your "grain bill" (use a calculator to figure this out), and see how that turns out.

Windsor.
If you don't already, take a look at rehydrating your dry yeast before pitching.
I´ll see if I can get my hands on some of that Windsor to try, thanks for the recommendation!

I am very much newbe, but rehydrating is one of the things I already do. Countless hours reading up on things be thanked.
Doing my own recipe with 4 different kinds of hops, 2 kinds of malt, some other fermentables, dryhopping, irish moss, etc. as my second brew makes me scared where I might end up.
Well if it is worth doing it is worth overdoing.

For dextrins, you can start using some steeping grains, like caramel or crystal malts. Start at maybe 5% of your "grain bill" (use a calculator to figure this out), and see how that turns out.
I have thought about that, but now I will definetly do that for my next IPA.
Thanks for the advice.

I will also most definetly steep something for a Stout I am thinking of doing. Something with coffee, chocolat and vanilla, real overkill (but not quite actually imperial in alcohol, maybe 6-7, but bursting with everything else). Maybe I can even get a touch of cherry. I can really use some crystal, roasted and chocolat malts steeped in with the dark and amber liquid malts.
Just gotta figure out how effective my steeping will be to calculate how much I need.
Would really like more than usual sweetness on that one as I am a big fan of the Lion Stout.

Again, thanks so far, also to Cajun_McChicken. If you got more I would love to hear it!

On the stout, don't try to do too many things at once. Choose one extra flavor (like coffee or chocolate) and just do that. There's a good recipe in the HBT recipe section for Left Hand Milk Stout clone which is an awesome sweet stout made in Colorado. Plan on waiting a few months after bottling before it's really ready to drink.

S-04 worked nicely on a chocolate milk stout I brewed back in February. Drinking/sharing/enjoying it now.

Dextrins aren't sweet, but yes on the crystal for other reasons. If you want sweet, crystal malt in the 10-40 range will do it.

Back