Dry airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mic Carp

Loud Mic
Reaction score
Well, in my fervor to brew a lot, having taken off a week of work to brew and catch up on chores, I totally spaced out and realized i left an airlock dry for about 24 hours. I put water in it asap and expected some immediate activity. This was not the case. I let it sit another day before check and still nothing. It’s been almost a week now. I popped the top and see evidence of decent fermentation, but i am afraid of what wild critters may have infected my brew.
Any idea of what awaits me next week when i taste and take a reading?

Thanks in advance

As long as you pitched a decent amount of yeast I wouldn't worry about it. I know some people who just cover their carboy opening with aluminium foil for the first couple days to keep anything from falling in without any issues.

Not surprised there was no activity, as the fermentation was likely done in 3-5 days.
What GammaRay says is spot on -- you likely have nothing to worry about. This is not a hollywood action scenario in which evil hordes of infectious nefarians wait stealthily to wreak havoc and foment disaster if you for the least moment become distracted. Although I'd watch that.

Thanks to the both of you for the peace of mind. That’s what i was hoping to hear (read). It would have been a shame to toss my first batch in 10 years

Back