Drunkey Monkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManTail

Reaction score
I'm still new to this and only have one batch under my belt (2 more on their way!) I'm brewing my first 2 from kits, my third will be my first recipe. It's between a honey hefey or this, a banana wheat. The folks here on this board have been such a big help that I was hoping you all could pick apart this recipe for me. I've built it in BeerSmith2. Please let me know what you think!

INGREDIENTS
3 lbs - Extra Light DME
3 lbs - Wheat LME
1 lb - Carapils
2 oz - Hallertauer (60 min)
A few cinnamon sticks (flame out or final 5?)
Orange peel (5 oranges - flame out or final 5?)
WL3068 (weizen liquid yeast from Wyeast)

Planning to add bananas, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg to secondary.

TARGET STATS (before secondary additions)
OG - 1.049
FG - 1.012
IBU - 22
SRM - 5.7
ABV - 4.8%

Have at it - please!

I'm still new to this and only have one batch under my belt (2 more on their way!) I'm brewing my first 2 from kits, my third will be my first recipe. It's between a honey hefey or this, a banana wheat. The folks here on this board have been such a big help that I was hoping you all could pick apart this recipe for me. I've built it in BeerSmith2. Please let me know what you think!

DRUNKEY MONKEY

INGREDIENTS
3 lbs - Extra Light DME
3 lbs - Wheat LME
1 lb - Carapils
2 oz - Hallertauer (60 min)
A few cinnamon sticks (flame out or final 5?)
Orange peel (5 oranges - flame out or final 5?)
WL3068 (weizen liquid yeast from Wyeast)

Planning to add bananas, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg to secondary.

TARGET STATS (before secondary additions)
OG - 1.049
FG - 1.012
IBU - 22
SRM - 5.7
ABV - 4.8%

Have at it - please!

If anybody cares, I've adjusted this recipe quite a bit for my first go around - please have a look and let me know if i'm getting closer:

3 lbs - Wheat LME
3 lbs - Extra Light DME
4 oz - Honey Malt (steeped)
2 oz - Hallertauer Hops (60 min)
Wyeast 3068 @ high 60 degrees (68-70)
**Will add mashed bananas to secondary ONLY if needed

This recipe seems very simple - easier than I thought it would be but I think this will get me to where I want to be.

Two things - I kept the 3/3 lb split because if I just use wheat it ends up dropping my gravity below the "green" in BeerSmith. Having the 3/3 split keeps me in the middle, where I'd like to be. Also - I removed all of the additional ingredients except for the banana if I'm not getting enough banana after primary. I added some honey malt (4 ounces) just to give me a bit of honey to taste. Wife and I thought that might taste good.

Does this look a little better?

I'm curious how the banana would work. How much flavor would be left after the sugar is eaten by the yeast. I had a banana bread beer that I thought was amazing, so good luck!

I used honey malt in my last batch and hope it turns out well. OG was a tad bitter from the hops, but hopefully it'll calm down some by the time it's ready to drink

I don't know enough to comment or offer advise, just hoping all goes well with your brew.

Thank you, Rosvineer! I'm not putting any banana in the primary and, as of now, have no intention of adding any banana at all, as I'm told the yeast I've chosen should give me the banana flavor I'm looking for. I'm hoping the honey malt will lend to the overall taste.

Was the banana bread beer a batch of yours? If so, what was the recipe?

Thanks again.

I've adjusted this recipe a bit further, really trying to fine-tune. I've switched this style from an "American Wheat" to a "Weizen" in BeerSmith - numbers come in much better! I've bumped this up to all wheat LME and my color is in the yellow, meaning I may save 1/4 of the LME to add toward end of boil. I've also cut the hops addition to 1 oz as opposed to 2, keeping it low-middle IBUs. I'm also going to throw 1/4 lb of honey in at flame out for taste. Everything else remains the same!

DRUNKEY MONKEY
7 lb - Wheat LME
4 oz - Honey Malt (steeped)
1 oz - Hallertauer hops (60 min)
1/4 lb - Honey (flame out)
Wyeast #3068
**Adding mashed bananas to secondary ONLY if needed

Primary: 10 days (high 60s, low 70s)
Secondary: 10 days
Bottles: 20 days (room temp)

Does this look okay now?

No it was a craft beer I bought but I loved it. I've heard certain types of yeast can give a banana flavor, I will experiment with it sometime.

Go for it man! I'm brewing a tomato basil and a chicken and waffle beer this weekend. Can't get much weirder than that!

Latest posts

Back