Drilling holes for pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
Any advice on where to drill my holes (from the bottom) of my 8 gallon pot for the element, valve, thermometer probe, & site glass?

Any advice on where to drill my holes (from the bottom) of my 8 gallon pot for the element, valve, thermometer probe, & site glass?

For a valve, you'll usually get some sort of dip tube or 90 degree elbow that dips down to the bottom of the kettle. For my kettle, I measure up roughly a quarter inch from where this elbow would hit the bottom and drill where it would connect to the bulkhead.

Thermo would usually go higher toward the center of where your lowest typical volume of water would be.

Can't weigh-in on site glass or element.

I placed the nut on the inside of the pot,with the longest side facing downward. (points on nut facing up and down) Getiing as close to the curve on the bottom of pot as possible.I took a measurement from the top of the pot to the nut on the inside of the pot.Then did the same measurement and nut placement on the outside.Traced with marker,measured the center and drilled.

Edit* I deducted a 1/2" on the outside measurement just to be sure I was above the curve of the pot.
Every pot is going to be built a little different.The important part is being above the curve of the pot on nut not just the element.

I used the cheap Harbor freight 2 pack step bits.I drilled 2 holes in the pot and one in the spa panel all with one bit,never needed the other one.So they work

I would put the element 180º from the ball valve. HF has a knockout punch kit that will put some nice holes in the kettle for the heating elements and weldless valves.

Remember to measure once and drill twice.

Back