Drilling Blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrust

Reaction score
Hi folks,

In my quest to step-up to AG, I just purchased a 15G Boilermaker to use as a boil kettle.

I'll be using two 10G Rubbermaid coolers for a MLT and HLT.

Since I intend to (for the interim) brew 5G batches, I ordered the the "plug kit" to relocate the thermometer on the Blichmann. That said, I wonder if it's even necessary to do so for a brew kettle? Secondly, if I do relocate the thermometer, does anyone have a write-up or something similar that shows a good location to place the thermometer?

TIA!:rockin:

I would just check it manually until you step up to 10 gallon batches.....why drill on a blichmann?

Are you planning to brew primarily 10-gallon batches in the future?

If yes, I'd leave the built-in thermometer where it is and simply use a different thermometer temporarily instead of drilling more holes. Holes tend to leak if not properly sealed and maintained. So the fewer holes the better, in my opinion.

Once you get accustomed to the same kettle, chiller, and batch size you'll know how long it takes to chill. Then just add 5-10 minutes. I wouldn't drill any extra holes if I didn't have to.

I appreciate the input, thus far.

I have no idea when I'll begin brewing 10G batches, although it **may** never happen. I enjoy the brewing process and appreciate the ability to try new things.

Although, it appears most folks say this when starting out and inevitably end-up brewing 10G anyway.

I drilled a hole on my 15 gal and 10 gal. I placed it to the right at the 4 gallon mark on the 15 gal and the 3 gal mark on the 10 gal. Actually I had my uncle do it. He used a step bit. I plan on doing 5 gallon batches 75% of the time.

Here's some pics
blichmannboilermaker-brewmometerholeplug.JPG

blichamannboilermaker-hole1.JPG

blichmannholeplug.JPG

http://tj-brewing.blogspot.com/2011/03/blichmann-boilermaker-drilling-hole.html

Some really helpful suggestions, folks. Thanks again. Fortunately, the drilling doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

I drilled a hole on my 15 gal and 10 gal. I placed it to the right at the 4 gallon mark on the 15 gal and the 3 gal mark on the 10 gal. Actually I had my uncle do it. He used a step bit. I plan on doing 5 gallon batches 75% of the time.

Your thermometers aren't getting too hot? The four gallon mark looks like it's below the recommenced six inches from the bottom.

Sorry for rehashing an old thread, just want to be sure before drilling an expensive kettle.

Back