Drill for Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I used a hammer drill initially but the problem was that I couldn't keep a steady pace. It would get stuck and once I increased the speed it would just rip through the grains (I'm using a MM2-2.0 though). Here's what I got now for a price similar to the B&D:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

Most importantly it has a low max speed and you can actually set it to a speed and leave it there.

I have a 3/8" drill with 8 hour battery pack that'd be fine for this. High torque drills even at low speed might not be a good thing. But since I'm doing pm beers,the 6 pounds I do max gets crushed evenly with the crank handle turned at a steady pace. Don't force it to much. Just enough to keep that steady cranking pace. Crush is very even on my barley crusher at .039".

I used my old heavy duty 1/2" craftsmen and it kept wanting to rip the bucket out from under the barley crusher. I have had great success with a cheaper 3/8 drill.

Old Ryobi cordless. No problem double crushing 15 lbs of grain.

Just get a variable speed drill that you can control. Not one that just takes off at a certain speed.

Back