Downsizing advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM-brew

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be moving soon and, at least for the time being, no longer have a garage or basement. Unfortunately that's where I was doing my brewing.
So right now, I have a fridge I'm using as a 5 tap kegerator, a 1/2 barrel size kegerator I use as a fermentation chamber, and my brewing setup is a diy 220v biab system with a 15 gallon kettle. Generally, I ferment in a converted pony keg.
At least right now, I think I'll go down to 3 gallon batches and use corney kegs as fermenters. Just wandering if anyone has suggestions for a brewing vessel (size), kegerator, or fermentation control (chamber or something like https://www.homebrewing.org/Anvil-C...Og3SNNCCg5FiSlJHqFDxofVWVViVgORxoChVcQAvD_BwE)

Mash and Boil with the optional fermentation lid will solve all your problems. You can mash, boil, and then ferment all in one vessel, and you can hold temps through fermentation as well. So, you can do all sorts of stuff! I have one, and I love it.

Without a basement or garage, does that mean that the question is that you cannot do all grain any longer or does it mean that you don't have room for all of the larger kettles and such that you used to use and are looking for smaller all grain alternatives?

If this:

So right now, I have a fridge I'm using as a 5 tap kegerator, a 1/2 barrel size kegerator I use as a fermentation chamber, and my brewing setup is a diy 220v biab system with a 15 gallon kettle. Generally, I ferment in a converted pony keg.

means that you still have these items, then it seems like you could still do some pretty full sized BIAB. I'm just trying to make sure I understand.

Well, I'm not sure. I'm considering getting rid the big kegerator and keeping the one I use now as a fermentation chamber and using it as an actual kegerator. I'd only be able to have 3 taps, but it's not the end of the world.
The other issue for full size batches is the voltage. Several of the places I've been looking at don't have 220v, so going down to 3 gal batches would make boiling with 110v a lot easier.

Interesting question. The only small batches I have ever done were extract, which a 5 gallon pot would be more than big enough for. If you are doing 3 gal BIAB, I am not sure what size pot you would need. It seems like 5 gallons would still work (barely) unless you were making a big beer. That is just based on ballparking in my head as opposed to actual knowledge though. That might even work on one of those induction burners or even the kitchen stove if you are brave.

I also don't have any experience with that Anvil system you linked, but it seems like you could make that work. I have a couple of BrewJackets for temp control. They do work, but they cost more and are a bit of a pain to work with. I'm not sure I would buy them again if I had it to do over.

Latest posts

Back