Double Pitch Dry yeast or Make a starter for liquid yeast (Dead Ringer IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
I'm brewing an IPA with OG of 1.064. I'm reading that 1 pack us us-05 may not be enough. I plan on re-hydrating it before I pitch.

Should I use a liquid yeast and make a starter.
Should I use 1 pack of dry US-05 with re-hydrating
Should I use 2 packs of dry US-05 with re-hydrating?

This is Dead Ringer IPA from norther brewer.

Matt

The easiest thing is to just go for 2 packs of dry and call it a day.
Really depends on what you are after I guess.

The only thing I use anymore is liquid, since there are so many strains to choose from. I normally make a starter, but I have been lazy and pitched more then one vial.
All worked for me.

One pack is enough. I use 100% dry yeast, and only use 2 packs when I do something really big, like 1.080+. But if you want using 2 packs isn't going to hurt.

I have the Dead Ringer going on day 3 in the fermentor. Pitched one pack of rehydrated US-05 into 64°F wort. Sometime overnight active fermentation began. Holding the water bath at 66°F. Beer is at 67.1°. I'm expecting the beer to rise to 69° or 70° at 68° ambient. I'll bump the water bath to the high temperature for the duration of the time in primary.

One pack of rehydrated US-05 has always been enough yeast for this beer. No off flavors from excess ester production as long as the fermentation temperature is above 65°.

Is 1 liquid pack with a starter enough for OG of 1.064?

Matt
Starter size depends upon the viability of the yeast in the pack. Viability depends upon the age of the yeast and if it may have been frozen at one time, or been at high temperature. I deduct 10% viability for each of these occurrences.

I also use a good starter/pitch rate calculator like this one.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

1 pack of dry for beer less than 1.060, is what I’ve been told and do

I literally just transferred 10 gallons of Dead Ringer to secondary just before logging in. I used 1 packet of US-05 for each fermenter. The recipe I found from Northern on BeerSmith called for 1.061 post boil and I was at 1.066. I scaled my recipe for 12 gallons post boil. Anyways my FG is 1.015 (estimated 1.014) with 6.5% ABV. My grain crush was .035". Primary for exactly 2 weeks. Recipe.

27 lbs 2.7 oz 2 row
2 lbs 7.7 oz crystal 40

Centennial hops during the boil.

1.8 oz at 60
2.5 oz at 20
5 oz at 5

I didn't dry hop.

I'm on hour 36 of Dead Ringer, my OG was 1070, I think my hydro might be off. This is my first batch of any type, I'm new :( Fermentation seems to be going fast and hard, room is set to 70 deg, my LCD Thermo is sitting solid at 74deg, and you can see it working. I find myself watching it a lot.

I'm brewing an IPA with OG of 1.064. I'm reading that 1 pack us us-05 may not be enough. I plan on re-hydrating it before I pitch.

Should I use a liquid yeast and make a starter.
Should I use 1 pack of dry US-05 with re-hydrating
Should I use 2 packs of dry US-05 with re-hydrating?

This is Dead Ringer IPA from norther brewer.

Matt
Did you get it in the Big Mouth Starter Kit?

I'm on hour 36 of Dead Ringer, my OG was 1070, I think my hydro might be off. This is my first batch of any type, I'm new :( Fermentation seems to be going fast and hard, room is set to 70 deg, my LCD Thermo is sitting solid at 74deg, and you can see it working. I find myself watching it a lot.

It would make a cleaner tasting beer if it was fermented cooler. I start mine at 62 and it raises to about 64 from the yeast activity.

I'd try to get those temps down into the 60's.

Latest posts

Back