Double IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surgicalbrews

Reaction score
Bought a bunch of bulk hops and looking to make a DIPA.

Grain bill:

17# 2 row
.5# victory
.5# C 40
.5# carpils
1# dextrose

Hops:
1 oz summit at 60

1 oz simcoe/citra/amarillo at 15 & 0

1 oz simcoe/citra/amarillo dry hop

OG- 1.09 ish. IBU- 95 ish

Any suggestions or critiques welcome

do you mean 1oz each simcoe/citra/amarillo? or do you mean 1 oz of an even blend (.33 each)? If the latter, you need way more hops.

It looks fine but if I was brewing it i'd cut the crystal and carapils in half (at 1.090 there's going to be enough maltiness from the base malt to support this beer), mash at 148 like was said (to make it more fermentable), and I'd use something cleaner for bittering (very much personal preference type thing).

I'd actually not use any crystal and ditch the victory too and go with 14#pale with 4# maris otter for lots of flavor without the crystal sweetness getting in the way of the hops.

you can take a cue from Pliny and add a half to a pound of corn sugar to boost your final gravity and dry the beer out a little bit by increasing attenuation. I brewed a couple DIPA's to 1.07 and I always used a pound of sugar to good effect.

I also like hop bursting when I make these beers. Drop a couple ounces at flameout and leave for awhile. I get big tropical fruit flavors from Simcoe and Mosaic. I even tried a first wort hop technique, which led to a smoother bitterness while still having the punch of the hop flavors and aromas.

I'd lower the OG to 1.075-80; this sounds unavoidably big and beyond style. I second the lower mash temp to 148 (might target 145, myself, since too low is probably better than too high.)

Also, I'd repeat thst dry hop again at day 4

Jamil Zanisheff, John Palmer and Mike McDoyle did an episode on this and said that it is unnecessay as long as you rouse the carboy a few times. Apparently, McDoyle has been doing that for years, and double dry hop thing is mostly about making sure that your hops stay exposed to beer, which rousing also accomplishes.

Yes that is 1 oz each.

Mash at 148... check.

I was thinking about dropping the OG down a bit. I also have heard that dont need much crystal or any at all for that matter.

I was going to pitch about a liter of nottingham slurry that is currently in my primary fermenting a pale ale

Great info thanks will tweak the recipe.

Thanks I'll check that out. Always looking for ways to make better beer!

The idea of multiple dry hops is something favored by Matt Brynildson and Vinnie Cilurzo. They differ on contact time but they both favor more than one addition. Matt does 3-days max per addition and Vinnie does a week plus and then another 5-day dry hop addition the 5-days before he packages. I like the shorter contact time that Matt does. It wins him medals and FW beers are amazing.

I'm not sure how much benefit there is to dry hopping twice, once at the tail end of ferm, and one after ferm is done...i think a lot of it is just the fact that more hops are used, and we have the luxury of using hops at a rate that the pros typically won't, due to cost.. Double dry hopping is a lot of extra work as well. If you want to win medals, dry hop 3-4 days before you plan to bottle and ship the beers to the comp (and enter your DIPA into the regular IPA category). If you keg, you can always freshen up the beer by dry hopping again and again if you're not drinking it fast enough.

New formulated Recipe:

16 lbs 2 row (was alos thinking splitting equally between 2row and Marris)
1 lb Dextrose

Mash @ 148 ofr 60 min

1 oz Newport @60
1 oz each simcoe/citra/amarillo at 15 & 0
whirpool for 20 minutes

1 oz each simcoe/citra/amarillo Dry hop x 5 days then remove and replace with the same x 5 days

nottingham 1 liter of slurry

Back