Double ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHairyHop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all.

Made 5 gallons of an ESB for my buddies the other week and we killed it in a night. The loved the flavor and smooth profile it had. Now we're going to do a brew-to-keg event, where we get together to go through all the steps of making the beer and then drink it together. It'd be great for my friends because only one of them has any brewing experience.

The deal is, this time we'd all like to go for a bigger beer. I brought up the notion of making a double ESB, and everyone seemed all for it. I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind working out a recipe with me. I've never taken a recipe and "doubled" it.

This is what I made

9.5 lb UK Pale Ale Malt
0.5 lb Biscuit Malt
1.0 lb Crystal Malt 60°L
0.5 lb Cara-Pils® Malt

1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [6.50%] (20 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.60%] (20 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [6.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU

Any thoughts?

i'd just add a few more lbs of the UK pale to whatever OG you're now shooting for (guessing 70ish?) and proportionately increase the bittering hops to keep the appropriate balance. you may want to drop the mash temp a touch or decrease the carapils since being bigger will also come with more body. obviously increase the amount of yeast as well

What's your batch size and predicted efficiency/OG? That looks like the low end of ESB for me, and nowhere close to what I'd call a double ESB. BJCP says the style goes up to 1.060.

I would up the Pale ale malt to 15#, kill the carapils (that much base should leave you with plenty of body, leave the biscuit and crystal as is, and double the hops across the board.

I would up the Pale ale malt to 15#, kill the carapils (that much base should leave you with plenty of body, leave the biscuit and crystal as is, and double the hops across the board.

Thanks for the tips. That's kind of what I was thinking too. I might add some more specialty grain, but I don't want to fudge the flavor profile of the original.
My buddies and I ended up deciding on a G'Knight clone. So we'll see how that goes

Back