Double batch: when to pitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metic

Reaction score
I usually brew 3 gallon BIAB batches, but for various reasons I want to brew a bigger batch in the next week, and I don't have the capacity to do it in a single brew. I'm planning on just brewing two batches back to back and fermenting them together, but I'm not sure when to pitch the yeast. Should I pitch into the first batch as soon as it's cooled, to prevent any spoilage organisms that might have found their way into the wort taking hold? Or should I wait a few hours until I've finished the second batch, and pitch the yeast into both? I'm wondering if adding fresh wort a few hours later will affect the way the yeast grows, which might in turn affect the flavour in the final beer.

Pitch the yeast right away. This will get the yeast started and keep the beer from getting wild stuff in it. Adding the second batch later will be just fine.

I have read that when putting two batches in the same fermenter you have two options when it comes to yeast:

1. Brew both batches the same day and pitch enough yeast for the whole double batch size.

2. Brew on two consecutive days and only pitch yeast sized to the first half. (The yeast will start reproducing over night and be ready for the additional wort the next day.)

Thanks. I did this twice this week, we'll see how the batches turn out.

Back