Dorm fridge lager chamber!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbethenstein

Reaction score
I just went to the northern brewer scratch & dent sale and picked up a $15 3-gal better bottle. I have wanted to lager, but don't have any extra money to put into equipment. I do have a dorm fridge that I used for aging cheese, but I knew a bucket or standard Carboy wouldn't fit. So I am SO excited to report that 2 3-gal better bottles will fit in that fridge with all the shelves out. I now need to get a second bottle! My only concern is keeping the primary ferment at the right temp. My basement is at 70 right now, but will fall to 58-60 in mid winter. I may need to "swamp cool" if I want to start a batch before December.

Now to figure out what style lager to make first. I can have 2 3-gal batches lagering at once or make a 6-gal batch and split into the 2 carboys.

image-2576064765.jpg

Hmm... what are the dimension of a 3 gallon better bottle? I might be able to do this in my mini fridge as well.

Rough measurements: 7.5 in square at the widest point and 20 in high with an un-drilled stopper in it. 19in without anything. If you plan to ferment account for 2-3 in for airlock or blow off tube.

I know this thread is a few months old but I'm looking to do the same thing.

Mcbethenstein,

Could you tell me what brand and size mini-fridge ya got there?

Would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing. Its nice to know that these smaller carboys can be used in a small fridge like that. Could come in handy someday

Here are a few pics. The fridge is a GE model, with the model number in one of the pictures. I purchased it at Walmart a few years ago.
After a little trial & error I've determined that 3 gal all grain batches are a pain in the butt. Too much headspace to account for and my mash temps were impossible to hit. What you see here is a 6 gal batch split between 2 carboys and using 2 different strains of yeast... To see which I like best. Octoberfest with WLP830 & WLP 838. If you are a extract brewer, 3 gal batches would be pretty easy to do...

image-2969563004.jpg

image-445660419.jpg

image-2663444896.jpg

This makes me want to go pick up my old dorm fridge from my moms house. I already have two 3 gallon better bottles. hmmmmm... Maybe its time to try a lager.

This makes me want to go pick up my old dorm fridge from my moms house. I already have two 3 gallon better bottles. hmmmmm... Maybe its time to try a lager.
Do it.... You won't regret it! I ended up fermenting in the fridge. On the lowest/warmest setting my beer was fermenting at 48-49 degrees. I used an Infra red thermometer to monitor the temp without putting a probe in the carboy. After about 2 weeks I moved the carboys out to my cellar room to warm up for a diactyl rest. After a week racked to secondary, and stuck the carboys back in the fridge. I gave it a few days to get back down to 48 degrees, then lowered the temp 1 notch each day. It's been sitting there for a 2 weeks now at lager temps, only 6 more to go.

Back