Don't think this is an infection but want a second opinion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitamofo

Reaction score
I knew I would be making one of these threads eventually. I really don't think this is an infection and might just be floaties, but would like a second opinion. Took my first gravity reading of my Irish Red and beer looked like this. I noticed there was still some thick krausen on the sides so I think it is probably just that floating around. Rather than ask IS THIS AN INFECTION????!!!!, I will ask this: Is my assumption that it is not an infection correct? The sample tasted fine so if this happens to be infected, I would like to rack it to a secondary sooner than later.

2013-12-08 13.40.15.jpg

Thought so. You figure you see so many of these threads and u think by now u would know. Lol

Looks fine, some yeast do that. No need for secondary, let it finish in the bucket and then rack to the bottling bucket and bottle. You give another reason against a secondary...if it is infected, why risk contaminating another perfectly good vessel by racking infected beer into it? Just something to think about.

Your bucket is terribly infected with beer. Send it to me and I will properly sanitize it for you.

That does look weird. But still no infection.

The best way to avoid paranoia over infections based on looks is to stop looking inside the fermenter.

That does look weird. But still no infection.

The best way to avoid paranoia over infections based on looks is to stop looking inside the fermenter.

Honestly, i usually don't even look in. I remove my stopper and grab samples.. It just caught my eye this time around. Darn thing.

Latest posts

Back