Don't have a racking cane - can I use anything else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yurtbrewer

Reaction score
Is there another option besides a racking cane to move from one vessel to another? I don't have one and need to rack soon.

Thanks,
Yurtbrewer

Any vinyl or silicone tubing, properly sanitized can be used to siphon the cider. it's easier with a "firm" piece like a racking cane, but the plain tubing will do just fine in a pitch. Starting a siphon takes some practice, so practice with a bit of water first!

Any food grade hose will do. The racking cane just makes things go faster by not letting the hose kink at the top. You might also end up with a little more trub getting sucked up since you won't have that black thingy on the bottom.

What if I add a piece of silkscreening material to the bottom of the vinal food grade hose with a rubber band and make sure it is all sanitized - will this help with making sure sediment doesnt get into it?

IMHO, you are better off spending a few bucks getting an autosyphon. They are cheap and available at any brew store. Also much easier to keep clean, as you can pump cleaning solution through them. Even if you have to panhandle change to raise the funds, you will save time in the long run.

Screens foul and clog pretty easy....

The neat part about the cane is that the end points "Up" rather than down like a siphon hose..... so you don't pick up as much sediment....

A hose works just fine -- just gotta hold it a bit higher and accept you will get a bit of sediment into your secondary.....

As JewBrew mentioned -- you can use a piece of copper tube that fits the end of your hose.... then carefully bend a "U" into the end of it so it is pointing up and a little bit above your lees.....

Another idea would be to use some tape to make a loose "U" in the end of your siphon hose.....

Thanks

I agree with the comments about using tubing. However human saliva is one of the worst contaminants so I would fill the tube with sanitizer first to start the siphon, wipe the outside of the tube w sanitizer and let the wort or beer flush the sanitizer (and spill a little beer). I think it is still risky. I have started a siphon with a sanitized turkey baster stuck into the tubing. It is not great but worked.

I suggest that you delay your transfer until you get an Autosiphon (which would be my choice), or a racking cane. That will make things so much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

use a section of 3/8 copper pipe. Just make sure its clean.
Post fermentation the pH drops a point or so and this level of acidity can react adversely with copper causing copper poisoning. Probably not to big an issue with the exposure from racking, but there are too many other options to mess with this one.

Ive been reading alot of the Brew and As and many of those brewers state that the Auto siphon is one of the best products they use/ cant brew with out!

I know I love mine!

Back