Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a full keg of what I thought was my stout carbonating in the kegorator for 2 weeks. Go to tap it last night and it turns out that I carbonated a keg of starsan.

That surely ranks in the top!

Just for curiosity, was the Starsan coming out the tap very cloudy or clear? I'm asking as I have the inkling CO2 may cause its cloudiness.

That surely ranks in the top!

Just for curiosity, was the Starsan coming out the tap very cloudy or clear? I'm asking as I have the inkling CO2 may cause its cloudiness.

It was fairly clear. I didn't really look at the glass to much. Definitely carbed though.

Don't spend the bank on a nice, shiny, new aluminum CO2 cylinder when setting up your kegerator before you go to the local gas supplier. Turns out they only do cylinder exchanges; getting my personal cylinder back could take up to a week "in the factory" to get it filled. And even then it's "you know, sometimes cylinders get lost in the factory, and stuff..."

Insult to injury: Their price on a 5# cylinder (FULL) was $15 less than the cost of my cylinder from morebeer.com. Add in the $22 fill charge for the 5# cylinder, and that's about $37 + tax down the tubes. Fu*k.

I had plans to have an anti-siphon tube installed to be able to lay the tank on its side in the bottom of my kegerator next to the compressor hump. So much for that idea. My backup plan mounts it pretty high and out of the way, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Don't spend the bank on a nice, shiny, new aluminum CO2 cylinder when setting up your kegerator before you go to the local gas supplier. Turns out they only do cylinder exchanges; getting my personal cylinder back could take up to a week "in the factory" to get it filled. And even then it's "you know, sometimes cylinders get lost in the factory, and stuff..."

Insult to injury: Their price on a 5# cylinder (FULL) was $15 less than the cost of my cylinder from morebeer.com. Add in the $22 fill charge for the 5# cylinder, and that's about $37 + tax down the tubes. Fu*k.

I had plans to have an anti-siphon tube installed to be able to lay the tank on its side in the bottom of my kegerator next to the compressor hump. So much for that idea. My backup plan mounts it pretty high and out of the way, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Ouch. FWIW, if you can locate and Fire and Safety shop nearby, you might be able to get a fill up there for cheap. I have one near my office that gave me a 20# fill for $18

Drink a little too much doing a double batch and pitch the lager yeast in the IPA. And then for a sharp stick in the other eye, of course have no f'n lager yeast anymore for the lager. DoubleFornicated.

Drink a little too much doing a double batch and pitch the lager yeast in the IPA. And then for a sharp stick in the other eye, of course have no f'n lager yeast anymore for the lager. DoubleFornicated.

I gave you a "like" but in reality, there should be a button for "you have my sympathy."

I've had a few of those "da*m" moments myself.

Ouch
Painters tape is your best friend.
"Xxxxxx yeast - STIR BAR!"

Don't not be fully aware when tightening spigot on bottling bucket only to have it leak when u go to bottle. Forcing you to starsan whole arm and reach in there quick to tighten her down! This will be named the elbow deep saison! Lol

Don't not be fully aware when tightening spigot on bottling bucket only to have it leak when u go to bottle. Forcing you to starsan whole arm and reach in there quick to tighten her down! This will be named the elbow deep saison! Lol

Did that this week :( there was a big puddle on the floor before i noticed.

Did that this week :( there was a big puddle on the floor before i noticed.

Cool trick that sometimes works in this situation. Pull the whole spigot away from the bucket and tighten. The pressure can cause the shim/o-ring inside to grab the bucket and tighten without having to stick your arm in.

Or switch to kegging :D

Play Pokemon Go while walking and trip over a crack in the sidewalk. Seriously DON'T do that! Broke my phone, skinned the crap out of the heel of my hand and my knee. :(

Forget that a whirlpool arm, although its camlock is above the level of the wort, will make boiling wort siphon out of the kettle when you disconnect your pump. Don't do that.

Do: wear long gloves when doing stuff with a hot kettle.

Play Pokemon Go while walking and trip over a crack in the sidewalk. Seriously DON'T do that! Broke my phone, skinned the crap out of the heel of my hand and my knee. :(

Many years ago, when of the age for raging hormones, I was walking down the street checking out a fine young lady on the other side of the street, when wham! ... took a solid hit to the chest from a parking meter. Distracted walking doesn't require a phone.

Don't do that.

Brew on :mug:

Have half a case of potential bottle bombs. Put them in a cooler for safety, intending to dump it at the end of the month. Then, when the hose comes off the washing machine and floods the basement, put the cooler back on the rack where it normally sits while you mop up. Then forget about the cooler for 6-7 months.

Yeah, don't do that.

So I cleaned out my lines with a little bit of star san after taking a dark beer off the tap. Followed by adding a hard lemonade to that said tap...fast forward a few days I go to check my carbonation level on my lemonade so I take a pull off the tap and think to myself..."hmm this seems kind of light even for lemonade" (yes I had a buzz already) and I drank what I would soon find out was diluted star san from cleaning my lines and apparently not getting it all out.

**** taste horrible..fyi

Many years ago, when of the age for raging hormones, I was walking down the street checking out a fine young lady on the other side of the street, when wham! ... took a solid hit to the chest from a parking meter. Distracted walking doesn't require a phone.

Don't do that.

Substitute "garbage can" for "parking meter" and that's me too.

Substitute many different objects that are on the sidewalk or could be on the sidewalk including other people and im included. Even tripping over stuff like cracks in sidewalk

I have all 10 and both of the nuggets. Down one carboy that I cracked by putting it down awkwardly as I started to lose balance. Let's just say that next time, I'll just take the damn baby gate down for 2 minutes.

Substitute "garbage can" for "parking meter" and that's me too.

Substitute "fire hydrant" for "garbage can" and that's me three.

In New York City. On a crowded street. Great impromptu entertainment for others.

Substitute "fire hydrant" for "garbage can" and that's me three.

In New York City. On a crowded street. Great impromptu entertainment for others.

Lucky for me, I was on an otherwise deserted street. No entertainment at my expense. First thing I did after the thump was look around to see if I'd been seen.

Do you perhaps need to move the fact that you were playing Pokemon Go to the "Confession Time" thread?! ;):D

Kettle sour in a pressured vessel, place tubing for transfer back into actual kettle with complete disregard to how it falls and or where the business end is pointing, then just go ahead and hook up that disconnect to the out post.
Lacto-fountain!

Don't do that.

Set up newly built mobile kegerator. Get keg situated, connect CO2 disconnect and then liquid disconnect... Before attaching the faucet.

Two words. Beer. Shower.

Don't do that

Don't do that.

Swap parking meter out with an equally attractive female on my side of the street and that was me. Of course, to make up for my stupidity, I had to offer to take her out for a drink. A drink that turned into me buying breakfast as well.

Well, I've got the nicely chilled wort for my Black IPA siphoning into the fermenter, I'll just run this dirty stuff into the kitchen quick....come back to my beautiful Black Yeti spreading over the garage floor. Lost about a gallon. and while mopping up, didn't have the lid on the whole way so some nasty black flakes from the bottom of the kettle it was siphoning from dropped in. TAKE YOUR EYES OFF IT FOR A SECOND I said to myself for the umpteenth time....DON'T DO THAT.

Yesterday I kegged 10 gallons of ESB in my garage and a few hours later I figured that I'd drop the temperature in the chest freezer down to 45 to inhibit the growth of any mold/mildew in since there was some condensation on the sides and bottom of the freezer. I couldn't remember which outlet of the controller controlled the heating and which did the cooling, but I was pretty sure I remembered how they were configured. I woke up this morning to check on it and the freezer was up to 120F because I'd gotten the outlets mixed up. That 50W reptile heater puts out more heat than I'd realized.

Don't do that.

i8hSMHm.gif

Yesterday I kegged 10 gallons of ESB in my garage and a few hours later I figured that I'd drop the temperature in the chest freezer down to 45 to inhibit the growth of any mold/mildew in since there was some condensation on the sides and bottom of the freezer. I couldn't remember which outlet of the controller controlled the heating and which did the cooling, but I was pretty sure I remembered how they were configured. I woke up this morning to check on it and the freezer was up to 120F because I'd gotten the outlets mixed up. That 50W reptile heater puts out more heat than I'd realized.

Don't do that.

i8hSMHm.gif

I see where you got your user name! :D

Don't do that.

So, you meant only to inhibit the growth of what was in there; instead, you KILLED IT WITH FIRE. From where I sit, you did even better than planned!

Latest posts

Back