Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start transferring boiling wort through the CCF without turning the water on. Turns out plastic fermenters deform under high heat. Who'd a thunked it?

I say with all light heartedness and friendliness, but bull****. I am a total idiot and not even I am that stupid.

Oh, I really did do that. Followed up with, "there are very few 50 year old women who are still hot. Stopped my stupid mouth just in time to not say, "But, have you seen Valarie Bertanelli lately?"

Buy some local beer while on vacation to bring home with you. Pack it gently in the back, so it doesn't get damaged throughout the rest of the trip plus the drive home. Forget about it, then open the back hatch and stare in horror as your precious brew falls out of the truck to shatter on the driveway.

Don't do that.

Buy some local beer while on vacation to bring home with you. Pack it gently in the back, so it doesn't get damaged throughout the rest of the trip plus the drive home. Forget about it, then open the back hatch and stare in horror as your precious brew falls out of the truck to shatter on the driveway.

Don't do that.

That would be enough to ruin my day. Damn. :mad:

198_p39591.jpeg

:drunk: EEEEEK!! I guess I'd rather discover it in the bottle than in my glass though! LOL!

Always doing a bottle inspection prior to opening. Do that ;)

I was lucky that, while in my category, another judge pair had the beer. Did a bottle inspection. Saw what must have been the happiest spider in the world before it died. Obviously they went for the BOS bottle instead. And since a certain brewer obviously doesn't understand how important cleaning and sanitizing is, that bottle was horrendously infected. I succumbed to my curiousity, and tasting it. Worst beer I've ever tasted.

Tasting the other bottle of a beer that had a spider in it. Don't do that.

I don't know dude, you may be onto something here. :drunk:

I'm still wondering if the brewer knew it was there, potentially as a prank or some sort of revenge for a bad score at this competition in the past or something.

I've heard some suggest it may have been intentional not as a prank, but like the tequila worm or something (apparently someone did a mead with a bee in it intentionally once). But then you'd think they'd have entered as a specialty beer, and not as a Saison. Or maybe they took "farmhouse" a little too literally.

Use a 3.3 mash thickness (discovered after the fact) and expect your beer to turn out with normal gravity readings. Don't do that :smack:

Double check and make sure your grain bill is as many pounds as you think. Do that. Every time. :pipe:

When you're older and not in the shape you used to be, thinking you can still shovel and wheelbarrow 7 tons of landscaping gravel all over the yard.

Don't do that.

I screwed up my back (sciatica) and it even hurts like hell to just stand up or walk for more than a few minutes at a time. Off to see a chiropractor this week.

No brewing-related activities for a while. :(

Brew a batch of beer and have a pile of stinky trash laying around. If you do this, you may have stinky trash beer. :cross:

My AM judging category from yesterday already has several photos making the rounds throughout beer judgiverse. Here's mine:

View attachment 293902

Bottling your beer with a wolf spider inside. Don't do that.

Looks more like a camel cricket to me. But either way. Bleeccch!

Draining your first runnings into a BK with the valve open. Dont Do that. Dont do it. Seriously. If you do it you are going to have a bad time.

Looks more like a camel cricket to me. But either way. Bleeccch!

Draining your first runnings into a BK with the valve open. Dont Do that. Dont do it. Seriously. If you do it you are going to have a bad time.

I have had that bad time before. Lost a good gallon or two of first runnings to the kitchen floor. Under gravity, under volume, and a nice sticky sweet mess to clean up. Even worse as an inside brewer.

Starting to drain the mash tun and walking away without triple checking the ball valve. Don't do that.

1. Don't brew drunk
2. Don't brew in bare feet /sandals
3. Don't drop the full 6 gallon glass fermenter on the sidewalk
I broke all three rules .... Ouch

Yes I still have toes , luckily I felt it slipping and jumped back , got pelted with the heavy glass shrapnel , then had to walk over it to get in the house

Brew Hauler. I use it with glass every single time. And triple check how securely it's attached, every single time. I continue to use glass for aging sours, but I don't use it otherwise, for precisely that reason.

Drinking a double shot of Jack Daniel's as a toast with everyone else after already having two cans of Bud Lite with dinner at a family gathering........Don't Do That! :drunk:

Instead of transferring to fermenter you leave a valve open and transfer almost 400G of boiling wort from the kettle to the HLT which still had 50G of water in it. Quick way to lose 20 points of SG and hot side aerate.
Don't do that!

Drinking a double shot of Jack Daniel's as a toast with everyone else after already having two cans of Bud Lite with dinner at a family gathering........Don't Do That! :drunk:

You ate dinner right before breakfast. Yeah, that'll do you in. I bet you bloated so bad you couldn't get into your yoga pants.

This thread just reminded me to tighten the valve on my mash tun. Wait a minute, I just broke format protocol. "Mash without checking if your valve is tight enough not to leak-don't do that" (no disaster, just painful to see precious wort dripping around the seals of your mash tun onto the garage floor).

Decide not to stop at the bottle shop for a growler of the amazing Lime Gose from Wingman Brewing on Friday night because you have a keg of Apricot Cream Ale waiting for you at home, then blowing out the keg on the first pint.

Don't do that.

Carry a six pack holder by the handle that has been at the bottom of your keezer for months. Don't do that.

Oh yeah and wake up your sleeping baby with the sound of breaking glass. Don't do that.

WP_20150808_003.jpg

Latest posts

Back