Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
I'm a nut for barleywines. So when I saw this sitting on the shelf I simply had to bring it home to try. I chilled a single bottle for a day and opened it up.

Folks, this barleywine has encouraged me beyond words. I've made several barleywines that have tasted almost identical to this one minus the figs and dates. I called them Scottish Wee wee wee heavy ales. Or, Scottish barleywines.

It's interesting and not bad. I can't say that I'd call it something special, but my tastes still leans toward the flavor profiles of SN Bigfoot as my go-to target profile for a barleywine. Well sort of. My best barleywine recipe has the hop flavor profile you get from a Bigfoot ale, the color, and the malty smoothness. I differ in that I like to target the ABV to be around 13-14%. It's a difficult beast to brew using US-05, but it can be done. Which remindes me, I need to get brewing. I'm wanting to whip up about 2 batches of it this next week. And I need to get on it if I hope to enjoy any by next fall. These things take a long time before the bottles are ready to be opened.

I like Olde School a lot. That being said, The best Barleywine DFH makes is 120 minute with about 5 years on it. AMAZING.

I agree with Big Foot in it being my favorite barley wine. I also really dig Victoy's Old Horizontal. The oaked version is also awesome. I missed the Oaked Big Foot and I cried, a lot. haha. Looking forward to this years batch!

It been several days and I've tried this brew a few more times. I have to say it's growing on me a little. It has a certain charm when you make an effort to sip it only in the smallest amounts. Any sip the size of an ounce is too much and you lose the flavors that are lying under the surface of it.

I have my tools prepped, tomorrow is a brew day. I'm going to make my famous barleywine and bottle another batch of American ale that needed bottled months ago. Hopefully time will be more available to me this spring and I can keep my brew schedule more regular than I was able to manage this last fall. I haven't brewed anything since August.

Back