Does this sound ok for lower alocho IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
The goal of this extract brew is to make a lower alcohol, lower cost IPA as well as getting rid of some of my columbus hops :)

10 Gallon Batch

13.2 lbs Pilsen LME
2 lb 40L
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Victory

2 oz Columbus @ 60
1.5 Columbus @ 15
1.5 Columbus @ 5

Yeast not yet determined, most likely 2pkgs US-05

Beer smith is showing me at 1.049SG, 84 IBU's, 9.4 SRM, and 5% abv

I think I'd move those hop additions around and maybe cut down the crystal. Also, US-05 is really gonna dry it out and maybe bump up the ABV, I might go with a lower attenuating strain like Wyeast 1968 or WLP002.

Advice taken, thank you! Perhaps reduce the bittering hop and add the remainder to the late additions? What do you think of s-33 as lower attenuating dry option?

Hmm, in my limited experience with S-33 it seemed to always finish sweeter than 05 in most ales. I am reading it is supposedly higher attenuating than 05.

I think US-05 will be fine for this beer. Using extract and crystal without any added simple sugars will prevent it from drying out too much, although IPAs are typically brewed to be pretty dry. 84 ibus is on the high end for a beer this size, unless you leave all that crystal in there. If you add most of your extract late in the boil, then I'd bitter with 1oz and use 2oz at 15 and at flameout. That would give you around 65-70 ibus, although it would taste a little softer than that.

Back