Does this mash look OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieZ

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed up a 2HA clone. I was mashing grains that I milled at the LHBS and I took the picture below.

I've been getting low efficiency, somewhere in the 54% range. I've noticed this like sludge/mud on top of the grain bed after sparging - kind of looks like the grains may be too crushed and I'm getting flour.

Is this normal?

G4AQNm

If you are not getting a stuck sparge your grain is not crushed too fine. Very fine would give you a higher efficiency, not lower. If the grain hulls are shredded some feel you might get too much tannin flavor in your beer.

that's usually proteins

if the grains were over crushed you'd get much higher efficiency - you can prob get better feedback on the quality of the crush by posting a photo of the crushed grains dry

DonnieZ said:
Yesterday I brewed up a 2HA clone. I was mashing grains that I milled at the LHBS and I took the picture below.

I've been getting low efficiency, somewhere in the 54% range. I've noticed this like sludge/mud on top of the grain bed after sparging - kind of looks like the grains may be too crushed and I'm getting flour.

Is this normal?

The mash looks fine. What efficiency are you talking about? Mash/Lauter or brew house?

Have you taken a pre-boil gravity reading to determine your mash/Lauter efficiency? Are you meeting all your volumes? Are you getting proper pH in the mash?

Lots if variables in play here to improve your numbers.....

The mash looks fine. What efficiency are you talking about? Mash/Lauter or brew house?

Have you taken a pre-boil gravity reading to determine your mash/Lauter efficiency? Are you meeting all your volumes? Are you getting proper pH in the mash?

Lots if variables in play here to improve your numbers.....

I thought I was quoting mash efficiency, but apparently I was quoting brewhouse efficiency. I'm still not completely used to the Beersmith app on the iPad. I have both the full version iPad and the computer version. When I just looked at the numbers in Beersmith on the PC I was able to see a computed mash efficiency of 67%, which I'm actually happy with.

My grain bill consisted of:

13# Pale Malt
2 # Vienna
.5 # Crystal 20
.5 # Cara-Pils

I ended up with a pre-boil gravity that I measured at 1.047, which was temperature corrected. I think I actually measured in the 1.040 range, however I'm still using a 12 oz sample jar to measure the wort samples with. It's hard to cool it down enough to get an accurate reading by the time I need the jar for something else. (I have a refractometer on order for this purpose.) So my efficiency might be a little higher. I did an iodine test (2% Tincture of iodine) with a mash sample at about 35 minutes and it did not change color, but I kept on mashing for the whole hour.

My post boil gravity came out right at 1.060, which is 5 points shy of the projected gravity for this recipe.

Mash pH is something I really want to start to look at, but I'm not sure how to do that without getting a decent pH meter setup, and I'm torn between getting my own mill or getting a pH meter setup. Both will cost in the $100 range.

I'm also still getting my process down. This is my fourth AG batch on this setup, and probably 7th AG batch I've been involved with all together.

Latest posts

Back