Does This Look OK? First AG APA attemt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish1320

Reaction score
Im going to attempt to brew my first AG APA on Sat. This will be my first AG attempt ever. Here is what I came up with, please tell me what you think. This will be a 3.25 gal batch. With 4.5 gal boil.

Grains
3lbs Pilsner
1.5lbs Munich 10L
1.5lbs Vienna
.5lbs Carmel 40

Hops
1oz Cascades 60min
.25 Citra 30 min
.5 Cascades 5min

Yeast
Safale 05

Appreciate the critique.

I dunno what your typical boil-off rate is, but with an AG recipe that is using mostly pilsner malt for the base grain, you will want to boil for at least 90 minutes to ward off DMS. That means your subsequent pre-boil volume should increase by 50% times your hourly boil-off rate, if you didn't already plan for that. The other option would be to use 2-row, of course, but you'll get a different malt profile.

Regarding the grain bill itself, it looks almost like an Oktoberfest-ish recipe--like a "Helles" version of a festbier, rather than an APA.

Regarding hops, I'm not a huge fan of 30min additions. I prefer 60 minute additions or FWH, and then all the rest of the boil additions being <15min. But, that is a personal preference.
I would also dry hop with an ounce or two of my favorite hop variety(ies), if it were me.

My boil off when tested with water was 1.25 gal in 60 min. Its being done stove top. I was hoping for roughly 3 gal to bottle which is where the 3.25 comes from. I really like Troegs Pale Ale. I read that they use pilsner and Munich, I added the Vienna just for a bit more malt to try to balance the hops. Like I said this is a first attempt. I obviously have it a bit off, so Im open to all the help I can get.

I don't think it's super necessary. As long as you maintain a nice hard boil and aren't covered in any way, you don't have too much to worry about as far as DMS goes. I'd also like to see more like 1-1.5oz of late hops (I prefer to start at 20m- 30 minute additions lose too much hop character IMO), and you could even go higher if you wanted.

Does this look better? As far as keeping the grain bill closer to style and the hop schedule eliminating the 30 min?
Grains
4LBS Pilsner
1.5LBS Munich
1LB Carmel 40

Hops
.75oz Cascades 60min
1oz Citra 10 min

Mash @ 152

Back