Does Partial Mashing (+ Extract) Help Lower FG via Enzymes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoxemus

Reaction score
From my understanding All Extract brews do not ferment as low because the extract doesn't contain the enzymes (amalyse?) produced by mashing. So if one were to do a Partial mash at 152 (or similar) would the enzymes produced help lower the FG?

Sorry if this has been covered but I searched and google'd to no avail.

Extract is wort that's been dehydrated, either mostly (liquid) or almost completely (dry). So there are no diastatic enzymes in it,* but also no need for them. Introducing enzymes, by adding mashable grain, won't affect** what you get from the extract, since it's already been mashed.

*Unless you buy diastatic malt extract, which does have diastatic enzymes.
**Mostly. There's a chance that if you mash your grain low enough, and the extract was mashed high enough, then the beta amylase will break down some of the dextrins from the extract. It should be a small effect, though.

That was quick! Thanks or the reply.

The reason why I'm asking is because, for some ales, I'd like the FG to get lower (my last one got stuck around 1.018) I am looking for ways to help get it down, without using Amylase and I was curious about how to do that.

Would using a diastatic extract help with that then?

Not really. What will help is going to partial mash (or all grain), where much (all) of your wort winds up having fewer dextrins in it than are in extract (assuming that you mash at a relatively low temperature).

Back