Does my water need modifying ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
Hi all, after reducing alkanity with AMS my water is Ca 80 SO4 143 Cl 91 Mg 9
I brew 3.8% pale SMASH beers mainly - is any further water treatment needed ?

I am not sure what AMS is. If you are adjusting for mash pH, then your levels seems fine for making a hoppy pale ale style beer, maybe a bit high if you are making SMaSH beers closer to pilsners.

I am not sure what AMS is. If you are adjusting for mash pH, then your levels seems fine for making a hoppy pale ale style beer, maybe a bit high if you are making SMaSH beers closer to pilsners.

It's the brewing acid commonly used in the UK.

bob: You can certainly add more salts if you like minerally profiles.

You can use a water spredsheet/program to calculate additions and estimate mash pH.

One of the UK brewers like @cire could also chime in with advice on the more traditional UK way of doing things.

Yes, AMS/CRS is the most commonly used acid by amateur and professional brewers in UK. Use it without salts with your water for US style profiles. For traditional British ales you might use Graham Wheeler's Liquor Treatment Calculator found here. British liquor profiles are less concerned with achieving a specific mash pH, more to ensure sufficient ions for all aspects of the brewing process. That usually results in suitable pH measurements.

Back