Does it have to be an Erlenmeyer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boochuckles

Reaction score
I'm getting all the things together to get my DIY stir plate going and I am looking for an Erlenmeyer online. They are not too expensive but I am finding some other 1000L HDPE Bottles for almost half the price. I am wondering if the starter needs to be in glass or the size of the base has something to do with why it seems everyone goes with an Erlenmeyer.

Nah, you can use whatever you want. My LHBS sells plastic 5000ml flasks right next to the glass ones.

Any vessel will do, as long as it's cleaned and sanitized. I made a 4L starter with an empty pickle jar from Costco once.

EDIT: If you're using a stir plate. Make sure the bottom of the jar/flask/whatever doesn't have ridges or anything that is going to mess with the spinning of the magnet.

It's a great tool! I still use that jar for blow off tubes. I never could get the smell out of the lid though.

People like the Erlenmeyers because they are made of Pyrex rather than normal glass. Meaning you can put them directly on the stove and then cool and ferment all in the same vessel without worrying about contamination. If you want to take that extra step of sanitizing a different vessel then pretty much anything that holds liquid will do. A lot of times I will use a glass growler, the starter wort has to be cooled down first though because those will crack pretty easy.

can the Pyrex take a rapid cool? i know its pretty awesome stuff but can it take an ice bath after coming off the stove?

boochuckles said:
can the Pyrex take a rapid cool? i know its pretty awesome stuff but can it take an ice bath after coming off the stove?

Yes it can. I go directly from the stove to the ice bath within a minute if turning off the stove. Just don't have the water of the ice bath higher than the wort in the flask or else the flask could crack.

I'd be very cautious. I shattered a pyrex baking dish once by (stupidly) pouring room temperature liquid into it while it was at broiling temp.

Nope, it could be anything with a flat base like a Florence flask. So named because is has a nice, round, bottom.

Yeah, it is sexist. Blame the early scientists.

Sex + science + beer = I am afraid to ask.

Yes it can. I go directly from the stove to the ice bath within a minute if turning off the stove. Just don't have the water of the ice bath higher than the wort in the flask or else the flask could crack.

I'd be very cautious. I shattered a pyrex baking dish once by (stupidly) pouring room temperature liquid into it while it was at broiling temp.

I go from the stove to empty sink, from there I add cold tap water, then ice cubes.

Do not put glassware on electric stove elements, the heat is too concentrated.

Erlenmeyer flasks are used for the small opening too. Universal stoppers and other common corks fit nicely in the top preventing contamination.
You can make a starter in any food safe container.

Re: breaking pyrex cookware. Pyrex cookware has been made with 'normal' soda glass for quite some time now and its heat tolerance is due to other process controls. Pyrex labware is made from borosilicate glass which give it it's thermal and mechanical properties.

Re: breaking pyrex cookware. Pyrex cookware has been made with 'normal' soda glass for quite some time now and its heat tolerance is due to other process controls. Pyrex labware is made from borosilicate glass which give it it's thermal and mechanical properties.

Good to know.

Let me ask you this...If it doesn't say so on the actual flask, is there any way to tell if it's made from borosilicate glass?

Back