Does coconut have fermentable sugars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula2fast

Reaction score
Today I racked my cream ale onto 2lbs of toasted, unsweetened, organic coconut flakes. I am starting to get a bunch of white bubbles floating on the top and getting some action out of my air lock. Does anyone know if coconut will ferment? I am hoping to add coconut flavor to copy a Two Brothers coconut beer, not to add more alcohol to it.

I can't say one way or another about the coconut being fermentable.

But regardless of that, I'm sure it is providing nucleation points and causing the beer to release CO2 from suspension.

Agreed. Many organics contain sugars to some degree, but not enough to make a difference in alcohol content. Coconut is mostly comprised of fatty acids and other lipids.

May as well prime with some coconut sugar.Its very available,usually in healthmarket sections of grocery stores or whole foods, it has a pretty carmally unique nutty brown sugar taste to it. Or Just get it to bake with, its really good. Made some fantastic chocolate out of it as well as everything else it made awesome.
The bubbles and airlock is probably just some off gassing from the disruption of suspended co2.

Im with the others about the dry coconut it may have a bit of sugars but probably not enough to make much of a difference.From it being toasted that is carmalization and thus you have unfermentables also at least that is the theory of carmalization,so it makes sense to me that there wouldnt be much sugars.I think it may kill alot of any head,but could be wrong about that,possibly because maybe toasting rids the oils/fats.

Back