Does anyone have one of these and if you do how do you use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtom

Reaction score
upload_2019-4-18_16-22-36.jpeg

I won this in a drawing. Just wondering if anyone uses these for brewing, mead or wine and how.

Thanks.

Looks like a mini fermenter or maybe mash tun. I'd expect there to be a spigot or some such for the fitting(s) on the bottom. Did it come with that stuff? Not sure why the sight glass on the side if it's a fermenter--you'd be able to see how much is in there through the translucent side.

How big is it? 6 or 7 gallons? Also, is there a bung hole on top for an airlock?

EDIT: Looks like one of these: https://minibrew.com/collections/on-sale/products/sale-model-15-gallon-mash-lauter-tun

Looks like it's either a mash tun or a hot liquor tank.

Last edited:
Looks like a mini fermenter or maybe mash tun. I'd expect there to be a spigot or some such for the fitting(s) on the bottom. Did it come with that stuff? Not sure why the sight glass on the side if it's a fermenter--you'd be able to see how much is in there through the translucent side.

How big is it? 6 or 7 gallons? Also, is there a bung hole on top for an airlock?

EDIT: Looks like one of these: https://minibrew.com/collections/on-sale/products/sale-model-15-gallon-mash-lauter-tun

Looks like it's either a mash tun or a hot liquor tank.
15 gallons yes their are multiple fittings and no bung hole. I think it’s supposed to be a mash tun as it comes with a false bottom and says for brewing beer or wine b

I have one of those, as well as a HLT, that I bought back in 2001. I originally used it as part of a 3 tier gravity set up and it worked just fine.
A job change left them collecting dust for a lot of years but last year when I retired and decided to get back into brewing I dragged them out of storage and with a few modifications made them part of a 3v herms system. They aren't all shiny stainless bling but I think they will serve their purpose just fine. I haven't had a chance to use them yet in their current state as I just finished putting a control panel together and I'm waiting on some electrical work but I'm sure they will be OK. And I figure it's a bonus that I didn't have to stretch my budget to buy two new kettles.
MiniBrew2.JPG

Last edited:
I have one of those, as well as a HLT, that I bought back in 2001. I originally used it as part of a 3 tier gravity set up and it worked just fine.
A job change left them collecting dust for a lot of years but last year when I retired and decided to get back into brewing I dragged them out of storage and with a few modifications made them part of a 3v herms system. They aren't all shiny stainless bling but I think they will serve their purpose just fine. I haven't had a chance to use them yet in their current state as I just finished putting a control panel together and I'm waiting on some electrical work but I'm sure they will be OK. And I figure it's a bonus that I didn't have to stretch my budget to buy two new kettles.
View attachment 622816
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back